Reflections || Chapter 6

1983

Valerie Thomas

I found out that Prince had actually recorded three different tracks of mine. The first two records were his own renditions of "Noon Rendezvous" and "Baby, You're A Trip." Meanwhile, he also gave lyrics to one of my instrumental songs. In turn, his third remake from my demo would soon be forever known as "Erotic City."

By the time Prince finally ended his "1999" tour, my debut album was already mastered and would hit record stores next week. Even Tracee hustled to roll up her sleeves and pull the usual strings to make sure that I was there to see that last gig.

In the midst of everyone cheering about Prince's final show, my presence here only heightened their joy backstage. Tracee cornered herself to laugh while Jill and Denise raved. To be honest, I'd never embrace people so often before in my life.

All hugged out from many different people, I sat with Tracee on this couch and watched as most of the band members left. Morris and his boys were already gone by this point. Tracee and I chuckled once more, still amused by what happened.

Just when I believed that Prince was already back at his hotel and it was time to go, someone clicked footsteps from the hallway. I didn't know what to think until those borderline hazel eyes noticed us. I almost froze in place and Tracee kept quiet.

He looked just as handsome as last time, watching me from the open door. That rare grin spread right across his dampened face. Those stage spotlights prompted his entire body to perspire. Even from this distance, I could see hints of cooling sweat line his brow and curly tresses. Those damn eyes still bore into my soul.

"You made it." Prince said. Even as pointed out the obvious details, I didn't care. The tranquility of his gentle yet low voice could bring world peace. I'd been convinced more and more right now. Silence fell between as I grinned towards him.

"Of course. I couldn't miss it." I stood up from the couch and walked to him, just planning to shake hands. We unfortunately hadn't spoken on the phone yet, but this moment made it all worth it. He really did look so happy to someone else.

"Thank you." Prince refused my handshake and finally opened both arms for us to hug. I took that gesture in stride and realized that times were different now. We were no longer strangers who met each other near that Twin City payphone.

"You're welcome." As our hold on each other drifted away, I looked down to see Prince now holding my hand. His touch was faint but delicate, as if I'd leave him here and never come back. Across this room, Tracee squealed into one of the sofa throw pillows. I smiled in return as silence fell in the room and she calmed down.

"Going anywhere else tonight?" Prince asked me. Tracee soon became invisible to him, but I couldn't wait to go partying tonight. It was one of the few times when I could enjoy myself before album promotion would take over my own schedule.

"Yes, Sir! I'm taking this girl out for her last hoorah. It might be a while before we can see each other again because of work." I jokingly rolled my eyes as Tracee hyped me up. As I've said, it was true that we were going out tonight, but damn.

"Have fun and stay safe. Just don't overdo it." It wasn't long before Prince warned us about celebrating downtown, but his handsome eyes told me something else. It was as if time froze between us again. I completely understood his point of view.

Tracee noticed the tension again and stepped out, leaving me all alone with him.

"What?" I laughed to myself.

"I'm proud of you." Prince offered his rare smile once more.

"Thanks." I tried not to blush, but failed.

It was 1976 all over again. To be honest, if I hadn't kept my cool while helping him out on that rainy night, we wouldn't be standing here right now.

"You're so pretty." Prince whispered those three words so quietly that I almost couldn't hear him.

"Thank you." I chuckled to avoid being silent.

"Call me when you're back home tonight. Please?" Prince suggested, still keeping his voice low and gentle.

"Okay." I said. We hugged once more and left him alone in the space.

____

It was around three in the morning when this taxi cab brought us home. Tipsy Tracee had already crashed on my sofa by this point in time. As promised, I sat down in bed and called Prince to say I was safe.

"Hi," He picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, we got back to my place not that long ago. Thanks for the support." I wasn't even nervous speaking with him by now. He didn't even know that Tracee was asleep.

"Oh, good. I'm glad you two got back all right." Prince volleyed back on the other line.

"Me too. Well, good night, Prince. Sorry for the quick chat, but I've got a long day ahead next week ." I rushed, hoping to hang up and finally go to bed.

"Wait." he said before I dared to hang up again.

"Yes?" I asked, hiding my yawn.

"Can we see each other again soon?" Prince still offered his gentle tone this time.

If only my heart would stop fluttering.