Reflections || Chapter 19

1994

Mayte Garcia

"Look at her!" Paisley hair stylist Kim Berry shoved this magazine in my face out of nowhere. I didn't know what to believe until pictures had reached me. Seconds later, I dropped my jaw. I then realized that Valerie was photographed again.

She's unreal. I thought to myself.

It was one of the few times when I felt speechless

It was one of the few times when I felt speechless. Of course, everyone else around here probably would go crazy once these pictures circulated. Even her engagement ring  beamed through the wrapped spiderweb of gold around her body. Quite a few employees in the style department here would have lost their minds, too.

Minutes later, our "boss" showed up.

To be honest, it was still strange to know that we couldn't actually say his previous name anymore. In the past, I would've raced to address him, hoping that he'd see these pictures. Valerie knew him after all, but times were completely different now.

"What are you squealing about now?" He snatched the magazine out of my hand and turned some pages, sitting down in one of the empty station chairs. Kim laughed before working again. She'd helped another dancer glam up for a promo.

As soon as he turned those pages and glanced towards the sexy picture of Valerie, we all traded looks. He tossed the magazine back to me and almost hustled out of the salon, wanting to see her all over again. I shook my head, just disappointed.

"Wow Val rarely poses half-naked like that." Kim cleaned her station while speaking to me. I'd already taken my pictures that day and had changed my wardrobe, almost bored for once. I smiled as workers passed us by. Footsteps moved around.

"I just can't believe she's getting married." I smiled, thinking of Valerie myself. As for me and everyone else in our camp," touring for the "Gold Experience" wouldn't even begin until next year. Warner Bros still had various rules in their contract.

"She called not that long ago and asked me to fix her hair for the wedding, but I had to say no. You know how it is around here." Kim pouted. I could only imagine how she felt about rejection like that. Of course, I would've been crushed, too.

Nodding towards Kim, we said goodbye and I headed out to the lobby, finally reading Valerie's article. She covered everything from previous music to being engaged right now. Despite hot photographs, Valerie looked content, still ready to take on this world. I could only imagine what she planned right after her wedding.

___

Television footage showed one of Valerie's last nights as a single woman. Onscreen, she had partied with her best friend. Music critic Tracee Daniels joined Valerie, grooving on the dance floor as music pumped. Their smiles looked infectious, especially since the New Year would approach. It wasn't even December, though.

At Paisley Park too, time no longer meant anything. At least not to our boss. I continued watching the screen, hoping that Valerie would speak to the press again. Not to be nosy, but she looked just as a spicy as those photoshoot pictures then.

As Valerie had enjoyed her evening, someone picked a fight. Valerie and Tracee stood up, but this drunk White girl splashed a Margarita straight to Valerie's face. Guests all around the nightclub reacted out loud, of course surprised this time.

If it were possible for everyone to jump through television, I would've immediately started moving. On screen, Valerie snapped moments later. Security details rushed to help. One of the bodyguards even tried to distance Tracee away from this spat.

My heart dropped when the footage cut off out of nowhere.

___

"Breaking news. Longtime musician and performer Valerie Thomas has been hospitalized with multiple injuries following a nightclub assault that occurred around 11:00 PM last night. More details will arrive as we continue this broadcast."

On the other hand, our boss was gone from Minnesota until further notice.

No rehearsals. No recording sessions. He'd even cancelled upcoming photoshoots. Management would've bothered anyone else. Yet, the nightmare was nothing short of an emergency, even if Valerie wasn't part of our camp anymore. I just knew it.

That next morning, Boss had told everyone, "I'm flying out to see Val at the hospital. Please keep this place moving while I'm gone." He left immediately after. I'd never heard the complex so drained before I flew. There was no other choice.

I even returned to Spain to see my mother at boss's suggestion. Boss said that Valerie adored her own mother and I had no right to neglect my family, especially since Valerie's mother passed away years ago. Her name was Momma Thomas.

One week later, the phone finally rang. My mother, sister and I whipped our heads from the kitchen table. I knew that it was Boss. He'd promised everyone to call soon and kept up his promise. I smiled, but frowned. Anything could've taken place.

"Hi. What happened?" I whispered, trying not to make my sister and mother panic. Silence reached the kitchen otherwise. My own heart thumped and dropped all at once. If only I could hear Valerie speak again. The nightmare just continued now.

"Valerie's healing, but it's gonna take some time before she's out in public again. Shemar's gonna postpone the wedding, too." Boss had explained details of what happened without offering private information. I completely understood his gesture.

Only time would tell what could happen next.