Chapter Five

I couldn't eat after my meeting with Professor Dumbledore, I'd felt nauseous all lunch. Marietta had passed by during break and asked if I was alright as I was occupying one of the small archways surrounding the school's courtyard. I brushed her off, giving her a smile and reassuring her I just had a lot on my mind. Herbology had gone quickly as Parvati and I worked together to learn more on the Whomping Willow and shared notes with one another. She had also asked if I was doing okay. I simply told her I was just concentrating on a lot of work at the moment.

I was one of the first people to enter my next class, not spending any time chatting to other students or dawdling in the school grounds after Herbology. My arms cradled my text book as I leant against the back wall of the Potions classroom. I kept my head down as students filled the centre of the stone floor. Once I'd counted each crack in one of the grey stones just in front of my feet, I looked up to see Draco and Pansy walking through the doors. He looked irritated, his brows pulled together tightly, a grimace occupying his lips. Pansy was too busy telling him an elaborate story, waving her hands in obnoxious gestures, to notice his expression. I watched them walk toward the same cabinet they usually stood near, both of them turning around as they reached it. Just as Draco rested against wood top, his eyes met mine. His face softened slightly, his expression looking almost curious for a moment before he squinted at me and shook his head, as if to ask what I was looking at. I raised my eyebrows and rolled my eyes, looking back to the door to see Hermione walking in with Ron and Harry, as expected.

Hermione smiled at me and began to walk over as Ron and Harry kept talking, slowly following behind her. I knew Hermione wouldn't be thrilled with the Sorting Hat's change of heart and she would most likely have her own input on the situation, but I wasn't prepared to share the news with anyone just yet.

"Hey," she spoke, still smiling. Her eyes looked me up and down, concern filling them as she took in my appearance. She stood next to me and leant against the wall on my right hand side.

"Mm," I grumbled in response.

She paused for a moment, looking back and forth between me and the rest of the room to see if anyone else was listening, "Is everything alright?"

"You tell me," I looked into her eyes, speaking quietly to her "I've hardly spoken to you at all. Seems like you only hang out with those two these days," I cocked my head toward Harry and Ron who were still chatting a few feet away to the right of Hermione and I.

She frowned at me, "I know it looks that way. There's just been a lot going on, I suppose."

"Well, maybe I have a lot going on as well," I retorted, looking to the front of the room.

"What's going on with you?" She asked, her voice slightly frantic but she kept quiet.

I tilted my head back against the wall and looked up to the ceiling, "Nothing, I guess just school stuff," I trailed off.

"Is someone bothering you?" She questioned, moving closer to me.

"What?" I turned my head to look at her, "No, of course not." I was surprised by her quick assumption.

I looked down again. In the corner of my eye, I could see Draco still looking in my direction.

"Well," Hermione shook her head, "What is it then? Did something else happen with Draco?"

I widened my eyes at her, silently pleading for her to keep her voice down. She looked at me confused, before we both turned our heads to Draco.

He was staring directly at me, looking almost... frightened? No, it couldn't be that.

"No, nothing," I answered her, keeping my eyes on him. Once I had answered Hermione, Draco looked to the floor, his face relaxed and a very small smile crept onto his mouth. Hermione began to speak about me seeing Draco opening the Room of Requirement but I couldn't pull my eyes away from him as he smiled to himself. Did I say something to amuse him? What could've been funny about what I said?