23. day 13

chapter thirty-three

day 13

Elliot goes to the hospital with Josh — they picked up Josie along the way. They reach the hospital in less than half an hour. Of course, it has to be the hospital Josh's father worked at; he really hopes his father isn't on duty, so that they wouldn't have to deal with him — a very unlikely hope. Even if his father isn't working, he is sure, he'd be informed of his mother being brought into the hospital by his colleagues.

Elliot takes Josh's hand in his and the latter is very much grateful he did that, squeezing his hand, thanking him silently. One of the nurses recognises Josh as soon as he walks in (result of him spending his summers volunteering at the hospital). She directs them to where their mother is being treated.

"Dr Goldmann is already there," she says as if that is supposed to bring some relief to them, "And your mother is alright — don't worry," well, at least that is good news.

"Maybe I should just wait here," Elliot whispers to Josh, "Your father–"

"No," Josh cuts him off, "Do not even think about him,"

Elliot doesn't say anything after that. He is very well aware of Josh's father's dislike of him, and he thinks it best if he didn't come to face the man again, especially during such a tense situation, but Josh doesn't seem to care. Elliot is there for Josh after all, so he too goes along, hoping there wouldn't be any drama caused from his presence.

The nurse brings them right to the man, "Dr Goldmann,"

The man is in his uniform — light blue overalls, a white coat over it, and looking as solid as he always is. He glances at his children with indifference and nods at the nurse, dismissing her, and there is an unmistakable hardness on his face as he sees Elliot there as well.

Josh is bracing himself for an argument, and it looks like his father would have caused a scene as well, ignoring the attention they'd draw to themselves when another doctor, the one treating Mrs Goldmann, steps out of the ward.

"She's fine," the doctor tells them, "You may go see her, but she's resting now," then to Mr Goldmann, "Dr Goldmann, a word please," and brings him aside.

Josh wants to follow them and see what it is the doctor has to say that she can't mention in front of them, but before he can, Josie is already pulling him into the ward his mother is in. Josh reaches for Elliot but the latter shakes his head, wanting to give them some privacy.

"I'll wait out here. You go see your mother,"

Josh doesn't quite like leaving Elliot alone, not when his father can very easily approach him and say God-knows-what to him, but nods anyways. It shouldn't take long; he'd be out in a few minutes.

Josie has already woken their mom up by the time he goes in.

"We should let her rest, Josie," Josh places a hand on his sister's shoulder. "Hey, mom," he tries hard to not show just how much scared he'd gotten hearing that she'd been in an accident.

Graciously nothing bad has happened — his mom's right hand is in cast, and there is a bandage on the side of her head. It could've been much, much worse, and Josh isn't sure if he can even think about it.

Elliot has been the one to calm him down, to not overthink and just focus on what they knew. Josh would have been a right mess if he didn't have Elliot by his side.

Elliot.

His brother.

Accident.