Chapter 1

While walking down the aisle of lunch tables in the cafeteria, I feel someone pull my hair from behind, making me flinch and drop my lunch tray on a random table, my food almost falling onto the floor. It's my best friend, Anne.

"What the heck is wrong with you?!" I scream at her. "If my lunch fell onto the floor, I'd make you buy me another one!"

"Alright, yes, you're right, I'm sorry." She apologizes. "It's just, you cannot miss the news I have for you!"

"What is it this time?"

"Well, you know how much I drool over Aidan Gallagher more than anyone else, right?"

"Yes...?" I say, suspiciously.

"Well, guess what? He's making calls to his fans through Looped today!"

"That's cool, but what do I have anything to do with that?"

"It's just... I can't call him all by myself, I need someone to be there for me, please."

I hate it when she says it that way because she knows me so well and she knows I have a soft heart, so she knows how to manipulate me. It's not that I don't want to help her or anything, it's just that she's crazy over this boy and I don't even know why. I mean, I don't hate him, I like his role as Number Five in The Umbrella Academy, but this is too much I can barely stand him anymore, but I try my best. But Anne's my friend and I don't want to disappoint her.

"Alright, fine, I'll be there with you," I answer.

She screams in excitement and hugs me very tightly, she almost leaves me breathless on the floor. But it's kind of okay, seeing her happy is one of my fondest memories ever.

After lunch, I head to class. I got maths right now and Anne has got chemistry. I love the way that we are so different in many ways but still love each other so much, just like the saying 'opposites attract'.

She wants to be a doctor or a scientist someday, meanwhile, I want to be an architect or maybe a film director and I've been so focused on that, that I practically am putting my life into my studies for when I get out of school and accepted into college. I'd like to be accepted into Harvard, but if I don't, I'd have to pick another one out of state, probably LA or even outside the USA.

When classes are dismissed for the day, I immediately head back home. I am so excited about everything today because winter vacations are already here and mom told me we were going on a small vacation but she didn't tell me where, she wanted it to be a surprise.

"Hi, mom!" I greet her.

"Hey, sweetie!" She answers back, lifting her head from a bunch of pamphlets.

"What are you doing?" I ask, placing my backpack on the couch

"Well, just finishing deciding on where to go on vacations," She says, with a tone I already recognise. She does that tone when she's lying.

"Mom...?" I ask.

"Okay fine, you'll find out sooner or later. I've been searching for some jobs for you, for when we go on that trip I'm planning."

"What?"

"Well, sweetheart, you need to work and save some money for college already. You want to be independent, you said it yourself."

"Well, that's true." I sigh. "So any luck in finding me a well-paid job for a couple of weeks?"

"Well, it depends on where you want to work and then for how long."

"What do you have so far?"

"Fast food places were the only thing I could find a small part-time job." She says with a small grin on her face, almost saying 'it's all I can offer you'.

"That's fine. I'm a good cook, I can settle down for a job like that. One that I've had in mind for a long time is Subway since it's easier to make sandwiches rather than hamburgers."

"Cool, then you'll have to send an application when we get to Toronto!" She says, excited.

"Wait, Toronto? That's where we're going?" I say, my face falling. If I could get accepted into Harvard, she would've told me we were going there to take the exam, but we're not...

"Well, yeah, don't you like it?" She says, worried.

"No, I do, but that only means I am not going to be accepted into Harvard?" I ask, my heart sinking.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, but we can't afford something like that. But we can afford one in LA or even Canada and since Anne and her parents are coming with us as I told you, she suggested you would like Toronto, then we'll head to LA for you to take the exam. This is a good way to get a head start, don't you think? "She is trying her best to make me feel kind of better but I'm not sure I am. It is still a good opportunity, but I wanted to go to Harvard.

"Okay, it's completely fine, I get it, we can't afford it. LA is a really good option. "I say, sincerely.

My mom squeals and hugs me very tightly, I hug her back.

"Okay, so we're leaving in 2 days, why don't you go pack your luggage already? "She says, letting go of me.

"Yeah, sure," I say, turning around and almost leaving, then I remember that Anne wanted me to be there with her to call Aidan. "Oh, mom," I say, facing her again.

She gives me a confused look.

"Anne wanted me to go to her house to do some homework, can I go tomorrow maybe?" I say. I don't know if Anne wants anyone to know about this, but just in case, I won't tell my mom about Aidan.

"Yeah, sure. Just don't come too late, ok?"

"Yeah, of course."

I grab my school bag from the couch again and go upstairs. First, I text Anne to let her know I'll be going tomorrow to call Aidan.

The next thing I need to do is prepare my suitcases. I probably won't need much, so I'm taking a big and smaller suitcase, plus a backpack for my computer, phone and all that.