𝟛 | 𝕥𝕠𝕨𝕟 𝕥𝕠𝕦𝕣

The first thing on Cara's agenda at 8:30 in the morning was to finish unpacking the car. The weather outside had warmed up compared to last night, but barely. Something about rearranging my room while wearing a sweater and jeans just didn't sit right with me. I should be in Nike shorts and an old Beta club t-shirt, but then I'd probably freeze to death. Who knew you could fit so much stuff in a Nissan Sentra?

Outside, I got a better look at everything in the light. The most fitting word I could use to describe our street was quaint. All the houses had the same coastal look, like something out of Cap Cod. At least two were on the market. I guess there weren't hoards of people looking to move to Forks. Our house wasn't the only one chipping paint, though it did seem to be a part of the better kept ones. Surrounding our street was a dense expanse of forest, likely due to all the heavy rain fall. It was so green. The grass, the spruces, firs, hemlock, and pine. Back home, it was less forest and more woods. Lots of brown and yellow. But at least it was something. Far at the end of the street sat a rusty red Chevy. That was familiar too, seeing really old trucks parked in front yards.

Halfway up the stairs for the third time, I seriously considered taking whatever was left in the car and dropping it off at a Salvation Army or local mission. Cara sure didn't help the situation either, always bossing where I should put things. Thank God I wouldn't have to share a bathroom with her because I'm pretty sure we'd end up strangling each other.

Once the last box was placed in the corner, it was all a matter of unpacking everything. My clothes alone would take the better part of an hour. I started a heap of things that I couldn't or wouldn't wear anymore and made a note to take them downtown and sell them if I could. There had to be at least a huge garbage bag full, if not more.

By lunch time, I'd managed to hang up and fold all the clothing I was willing to keep and that would fit in the small closet. About half of my belongings were in their rightful place while the rest of them still remained in boxes. If I wasn't starting school in a couple of days, I could have cooled it on the unpacking frenzy and done a little at a time. But the last thing I needed was more stress. I hated unpacking though; a box of sketching paper and a new package of pencils that I had yet to tryout had nearly stopped me in my tracks. There were so many things to draw here, so many plants and leaves and tree fronds that would look beautiful with a little charcoal shading.

Focus on the task at hand, Collins.

I tried to look extra busy when Cara poked her head into the doorway. She'd been catching up on work from over the holidays and had secluded herself to the living room for the better part of the morning.

"If you can get ready in 30 minutes, we'll grab somethin' at the diner in town, and maybe go on a lil' tour."

Cara was in a good mood today, probably less stressed now that there wasn't a mountain of paperwork for her to do and her sleep schedule would soon be back to normal.

"Yeah just let me shower real quick."

Okay, to be honest, there'd never been anything 'quick' about my showers. I just loved the hot water too much. But really, who would care if I skipped shaving my legs? Perhaps the extra hair would fight off the ever-present chill. God, it felt like forever since I had showered somewhere besides a motel bathroom. There were no questionable pieces of hair clinging to the tub or curtain and the towels smelled clean. I wrapped a fluffy one around me and twisted my hair up in another. Most of my makeup was still put away, but I was able to throw on some concealer and mascara to look reasonably human. I pulled on my thickest jeans and warmest sweater. My tall boots were more fashionable than practical, so that was another thing to grab on our trip when Mom and Dad came in.