A Meditation Session

Note: The events in this story may have slight canon divergence. All I know is that this story would probably take place not long after episode 76 of Campaign 2, which is Refjorged. So if you haven't watched until then, this story will contain spoilers.

       The Mighty Nein had camped for the night, and Caduceus could hear the chatter of the others not too far off. He couldn't pick up the words, but he recognized the voices. They were familiar, comforting. Not unlike the presence of the Wildmother that permeated all the natural world. He then heard the sound of footfalls, heavy ones. The sound of heavy armor shifting echoed across the tree trunks that surrounded him.

       "Hello Fjord," Caduceus said with a smile. He glanced back towards the half-orc. While Caduceus was perceptive, he couldn't see in the dark very well, so only Fjord's silhouette was visible.

       "Uh, hey Caduceus," Fjord replied. Then, he sat down a few feet next to Caduceus. Then, he rested the shining blade of the Star Razor across his lap. Even in the dark, the sword's beauty was unmistakable.

       "Can I uh, meditate, with you," Fjord asked.

       "Of course," Caduceus responded with a smile. Caduceus inhaled and focused on the sounds of the crickets. The swaying of leaves. The sound of Fjord breathing. His own breath. The sound of a cool night breeze. In the distance, ocean waves. Even the various footsteps of nocturnal predators prowling for prey.

       "What does the Wildmother want? In general, I mean," Fjord asked. Caduceus opened his eyes and looked to Fjord, who was looking back it him. Caduceus' eyes had adjusted more to the dark, and so it was easier to see the half-orc's face.

       "Nature, and all life, it's a gift. A gift from the Wildmother. In general, she does not need anything from us, and no one should be obligated to owe anything to any god just for living. What's more important is the destiny that she guides us towards. The destiny she's guiding you towards," Caduceus explained.

       "But, I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what my destiny is. I mean, when I met everyone else, I was trying to go to an arcane school of magic, but now, I don't want that at all."

       "Well, what you wanted before guided you to the Mighty Nein. Even if you may lose your want for something, you'll still end up somewhere. You'll end up closer to your destiny. I'm sure that the path you're on now is one that will lead to a great place someday."

       "Thank you, Caduceus. I'm... still not entirely sure, but thank you."

       "There's nothing wrong with being uncertain Fjord, life and nature are unpredictable." Fjord simply nodded in reply. There was a pause, one that was filled with the sound of crickets and the feeling of a warm, comforting breeze that washed over the two of them in the chill of the evening.

       "Caduceus, I know this sounds kind of weird, but I want this moment to last a long time."

       "And why is that," Caduceus asked.

       "Well, I enjoy being with you. And, I enjoy the relative quiet compared to fighting."

       "Well, I quite enjoy being with you, and I want to see where your destiny takes you." Fjord looked at Caduceus, and then took his hand.

       "When you say you think I'll end up somewhere great, do you mean it?"

       "Of course I mean it Fjord, why wouldn't I?"

       "Well, I don't know, it's just... With Uk'Otoa I was so uncertain, and things were strange and deceptive and confusing. It's really refreshing to have such honesty," Fjord said.

       "Well, it's very refreshing to have another follower of the Wildmother in the group," Caduceus replied, stroking the amulet of Melora he had made for Fjord at the volcanic forge. Fjord moved closer to Caduceus.

       "It's beautiful, you know," Fjord explained. Caduceus chuckled.

       "Yeah, it is, not too much unlike you."

       "Oh, uh, well, heh, ummm, you think I'm beautiful," Fjord asked.

       "Yes Fjord, you are beautiful," Caduceus answered. Fjord blushed, hoping Caduceus wouldn't notice. Wait, what was he thinking, he was Caduceus, of course he noticed. Caduceus clutched Fjords weathered hands, and Fjord drew closer to him. They could feel the warm breeze around them pick up. It encircled them, surrounded them. In that moment, it was just the two of them, and in that isolated moment, their lips touched. Caduceus embraced Fjord, and could feel the tension in Fjord's broad, strong shoulders fall away.

       Caduceus heard the sound of fast approaching footfalls, there was only one he knew of who could move so effortlessly with such speed.

       "Fjord! We gotta get up early tomorrow for exercise, it's getting late!" Fjord sighed, muttering under his breath. Caduceus chuckled and stood up.

       "Goodnight Fjord, this was very pleasant. Good night."

       "Good night Caduceus," Fjord whispered, beaming.

       "FJORD!!!"

       "Okay okay Beau! I'm coming, yes, yes, I get it. We need to do exercise tomorrow," Fjord sighed again much more loudly this time. As Caduceus walked away, the feeling of Fjord's lips lingered, and while it was just a moment, it would last forever in Caduceus' heart.