Chapter Twenty Two

"You are not sleeping," He states towards the sky

It is dusk, the sky a mix of indigo and ink, splashed with grey clouds that drift on by peacefully through the wind that nips at the skin and rustles the hair. The moon peeps out from under a thunderous looking cloud, illuminating it with hues of yellow and silver before it gets covered completely again. Not a star twinkles against the dark canvas that is the sky, casting the atmosphere in dark shadows and silhouettes that may be mistaken as monsters lurking behind trees. But none come- just the whistle of the wind as it whizzes past through the trees and picks up a few fallen leaves on its way. 

We have all dismounted for the night to allow the animals rest. Everyone has their head perched against their horses as if they were a soft hairy pillow. Clifford lays against Niall, head in his lap, Niall's hand resting on the curly fur head, both snoring softly. Liam and Zayn are inside each others arms whilst Dragon's head lays against the back of Kermit. Epona has her body curled round and she rests her head in my cross legged lap, I stroke her left ear slowly, looking up at the sky. 

"Nor are you by the sounds of it," I reply back, not bothering to search for his eyes, knowing all too well he is now staring at me. 

"Well you are correct there... Why are you not resting?" 

"That is a dumb question, Lou. Why are you not resting?" I offer back. 

I hear him shuffle around. "It is too open, I feel exposed and cold." 

I nod my head at that. "Mmm... It is fairly cold. The wind has picked up, I fear another storm might be coming." 

Louis swallows at that. "I hope it does not come with rain." 

"It will."

He shuffles around again and I finally search for him. My eyes find his- he sits to the left of me, his hands against his cheek whilst his body is on its side, legs curled up towards his chest. Thunder snorts in his sleep and shifts slightly, making Louis' head bop up then down again beneath him. His eyes are warm and inviting, like the colour of the summers sky just as the sun has fully risen, melting dew and awakening the life of bees. They are like the warmest depths of the sea, where the colourful fish dart between corals and seashells beneath the sand. 

I return the small smile he offers to me. 

"You are afraid," His voice is delicate like silk and smooth like honey. 

I nod. "If he kills me, everything will end wrong. The Gods will destroy everything in their path. It will be the end for everyone." 

"Harry..." He begins, dragging my name out whilst he lays back onto his back and sighs through his nose. "You really need to stop with the 'what ifs' because it is only going to extinguish your confidence. You need to look for the light in the dark." 

"You are the light in the dark," I mumble so only I can hear. It is weird how I feel like that. Ever since we started this quest together, I had felt this warmth spread within me that settled into my bones. He keeps me feeling safe, it is strange but wonderful and utterly terrifying because I do not know where the feeling came from.