Prologue

"Okami, get your ass down those stairs!" my mother shouts at me from the top of her lungs. My father just got a new job in France somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy for him, but I don't want to move there. I have lived in Japan since I was 7 and I have so many memories here.

But I wasn't asked.

"Coming, mother." I shout back, not quite as loud as herself. I look at my now empty room, tears welling in my eyes as I think about the good times here. My best friend Yukio coming every Saturday for a sleepover was great. I still haven't told her I am moving yet. I can't bring myself to do it face to face - it'll break her heart and I can't watch that.

I pick up my last bag and carry it downstairs, grunting at the almost overwhelming weight as I clumsily clamber down. I walk straight out the front door, no looking back. I throw my bag into the back of the large, white moving van and sigh. I am exhausted and it is only 9am.

My mom comes up from behind me and lazily slings her aching arm around my shoulders.

"This is it, Okami. Paris, here we come!" she sings. I sigh and walk away, her body falling forward in the direction of the spot I was once stood. She catches herself and smiles sheepishly. I chuckle a sad chuckle and get in the back of our family car. I look out the window at my childhood home and one single tear falls.

My phone buzzes - probably a message from Yukio. I don't even look, because I don't know what I'd say. I hold down the power button on the side of my phone and swipe the screen to turn off the power. The car pulls out of the drive and follows the moving van in front of use, of which I didn't even realize had moved itself until now.

Around an hour passes and we make it to the Osaka airport. I turn on my phone as we wait for the queue for passport scan to shorten, and see one unread message with two missed calls. I'm sorry Yukio. I open the message and see:

Yukio: Okami, I think you were robbed! 😲 Your house is completely empty and no one is home, should I call the police?

I reply quickly with:

Okami: No, I'm fine. But don't go there ever again, please.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was even holding and close my eyes, feeling my phone vibrate again. I open my eyes and open the new message.

Yukio: Thank the heavens you are okay! I was worried. Why can't I come round? I'm sad now Okami!

Okami: Stop worrying, I need to tell you something...

Yukio: Is it big?

Okami: If moving to the other side of the world is big then yeah.

Yukio: OMG!! Where are you going? Can I visit you? I always wanted to go abroad!! EEK!

Okami: Paris

Yukio: I am so happy for you, but I am sad you're leaving.

Okami: Sorry, my flight's just been called, Bye Yuki :(

Yukio: Enjoy Paris!

I stand up, my small shoulder bag clinging to my left shoulder almost as tightly as how I'm clinging to it's strap. I inhale deeply and exhale a few seconds later.

To Paris, I guess.