Epilog: Promise

It was twilight time when the sun went down the horizon. The sky was red and orange. The air warm and cold together.
Rango and Beans sat on the porch of Beans's house on a bench.
They didn't speak much this evening. They felt drained and exhausted. So tired, that they decided to travel back to Beans's ranch directly and to go back to town tomorrow.
Rango leaned back, while Beans's lay her head on his lap. He petted over her neck softly. Both had missed these evenings. The feeling of familiarity togetherness instead of loneliness. Beans enjoyed his caressing.
"I'm so glad," she muttered weakly.
Rango didn't interrupt petting. "About what?"
"About all."
Rango nodded and sighed. "It was all too much."
"Indeed."
They fell silent for a moment.
"But I'm glad, that she found her husband again."
Rango smiled. "Yes. I'm sure they will make it together to realize their plans."
"Mmmm."
Both got the feeling of coldness. The sun was gone behind the hills.
Beans moved her finger over his knee. "Do you wanna stay here?"
Rango smiled. "I have nothing to do in town. I think I will stay here tonight."
Beans sighed and stroke over his leg. "Promise me, never to leave me again."
The chameleon petted over her back. "That's a promise which I give with pleasure."
"You promise?"
"I always keep my promise."
That's all what she wanted to hear and there was nothing to say more. Also not about Bill and their past, because Rango knew her feelings, and he didn't want to know more. And Jake? He was there, somewhere in the desert. And he couldn't say where. But he would never break his promise what he had given him back. And with that calming thought he could relax this night.

Many miles away, a little group was on their way to Mexico. Bill watched the sun, which had disappeared behind the horizon. Kinski, Stump and Chorizo rode behind him. Castigo's corpse lay on another roadrunner behind them.
Stump cleaned his throat. "Well, after all, I think it was a good job, wasn't it, Bill?"
Bill snorted.
Kinski grinned. "All just because of a promise, I still have to laugh about it."
Bill stopped. "Be quiet! I never wanna hear that damn word "p-r-o-m-i-s-e" anymore!"
"Alright, I prom..."
Bill turned his face at him and gave him a warning glance.
Kinski swallowed. "Never mind."
Bill snorted and continued riding. His thoughts were far away and he didn't know what after all will change in the future. He was still a little angry, but maybe also a little glad, that she wasn't killed. Just a little bit. Maybe there was just a little hope that she would heed him one day.
Just maybe.

- The end -