Chapter 58 - Killer

I rub Cupcake's back as she coughs harshly after choking on her coffee, tempted to ask her what's wrong but also slightly scared to do so. I have a hunch about what could possibly shock her so much, but I won't say anything. If she wants to, she'll tell me herself.

"Oh god..." I hear Cupcake mutter quietly, covering her mouth with her hand.

"You remember now?" Maggie teases with a knowing smirk. Oh, so that's what it's all about.

I move my hands back to Cupcake's stomach, resting them comfortably against the soft sweater she adorned earlier and hold her close to me as we wait for our breakfast. I'm starting to think about taking a nap with her later, noticing that she's not as... relaxed as she was yesterday. Even though we took a really long bath with the same oil Lia used yesterday, it didn't seem to have the same effect. Maybe I should let my girl sleep some more or put some warm compresses with peppermint oil on her bruises.

I don't want her to be in pain when I take her to our surprise later.

I'm showing her the house today. I wanted to wait until tomorrow, but if I do it today and she doesn't like it, I will still have one more day to get her something.

It's unbelievable how easily my Cupcake turned me into a lovesick puppy. After twenty seven years of ignoring Valentine's Day, I'm actually freaking out like a high school boy.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I catch Maggie's gaze as she stares at my hands on Cupcake's stomach, pursing her lips to stop herself from laughing.

"See, Muffin? I told you." She tells my girl, pointing to my hands.

"Maggie! – Cupcake whines cutely, hiding her blushing face with her hands – Can you please shut up about it?"

"Nope. – Maggie grins widely – Teasing you is quite fun."

"Mags..." I warn.

"Don't even try, Killer. You're just as blind as her."

"What? The fuck you're talking about?"

Maggie only smiles then glances at my hands again before chuckling quietly. "Maybe you're not..."

"Mags!" I groan in annoyance. This woman never says what she wants to say. She enjoys toying with people and it's extremely frustrating.

"What? I'm just saying." She shrugs nonchalantly.

Before I can say more, Jinx brings us our food, smiling as always, then retreats back to the kitchen. Finally a distraction from Maggie's teasing.

I take my sweet time feeding my Cupcake, not wanting her to struggle with the utensils because of the cast on her arm, then just keep her in my arms as I eat while she rests after her meal. I want us to enjoy this moment of peace as much as we can, cause I have a strange feeling it won't last long. I don't know why, but I can just feel it.

"So... what's my surprise?" Cupcake asks after a while, turning slightly on my lap to face me.

"It's called a surprise for a reason, baby. I won't tell you until the time is right." I tease, smiling at her cute dejected pout.

"But I want to know..."

"You will. Later." I grin, giving her a quick kiss.

"Mean Killy." Cupcake grumbles quietly.

After we're both finished with our breakfast, I take my Cupcake to the infirmary to see Doc. He said to bring my girl for check-ups regularly and as much as I don't like having another guy touch my Cupcake, I know better than to argue with a doctor.