September 4

The following Monday, after a week of exams in different classes, grades began to arrive. For most of them, Dylan had A's or B+'s but he failed in math. He knew it, math had never been his favorite subject but now he couldn't concentrate on anything else other than the woman in front of him. He heard her speak, but what she said was a mystery, he just liked the sound of her voice. The functions and vector's theorems weren't interesting enough; her eyes were better to look at.

That explained the big red "F" on his paper. Mrs. Flauger had written something next to the grade telling Dylan to go see her by the end of the class. While he approached the desk slowly, other students made their way out. They were alone; Mrs. Flauger got up to close the door and motioned him to sit on the nearby chair.

"I don't understand, Dylan." It seemed like Mr. Andeo was reserved for public talks. "I talked with some of your teachers, they all said the same: you're an excellent student, you had good grades everywhere. What happened during the math test?"

He couldn't speak; the words were stuck in his throat. He coughed to gain some time.

"I, hmm, I'm sorry... I was a little distracted that day..."

She put her hand on his shoulder.

"You know you can talk to me if you have problems, right?"

A timid nod.

"Do you want to tell me what had you distracted?"

You, the orphanage, the job, the flat. No he couldn't say this; it would be crazy.

"Nah, it's fine now, don't you worry Mrs."

He started to stand up but she caught him by his wrist. Forced to turn around, he straightened to face her.

"Everything is alright? And don't lie to me, please, you can trust me." And he knew he could, he did.

"Positive. Everything's good, just some stuff I need to check. Also, math isn't my strong suit."

He told the truth, not all of it, but a part however.

"Okay, if you say so. Still, about your test, you need to work harder from now on. You can't have another grade like this one." She looked at him. "Do you know someone who could help you catch up what you didn't understand about the lesson?"

He shook his head no.

"I could help you if you want me to." He lowered his head, and thought about it for a while.

"Yeah, I, I'll think about it." He pointed to the door. "I have to go now, sport class."

She nodded, saying goodbye. She wondered what he was hiding, but she thought teens often hide things from adults. But he was not just a teen for her, he was more; she couldn't name it, but she felt it inside her.

He needed her, he knew it and if the only way to be close to her would be by taking private math lessons, he was okay. He could do everything just to be able to stay with her, just the two of them.