Hey, Stranger

Chapter One – Hey, Stanger

When bad stuff happens, you're supposed to be able to go home. You're supposed to be able to crawl up in your mother's arms and bawl your eyes out. Then she'll tell you everything will be okay and then you'll eat ice cream and everything's fine again.

Wait, sorry.

Please excuse me while I choke on that load of bullshit.

For a girl like me, when your life comes crashing down around you, you show up randomly on your brother's doorstep. You know, the one you haven't spoken to in over five years.

Maybe I should backtrack . . .

* * * * *

"I'm done, Ember!" Miles yelled, his brown eyes blazing.

Indignantly, I rolled my eyes. "Seriously? It's not that big of a deal! I got drunk, how is that any shock to you?"

"You do this constantly! You're barely ever home anymore. What do you want me to do?"

"How 'bout you stop acting like you're the boss of me?"

"Fine. If you won't listen to reason, then get out. I can't help you if you don't even want to admit you have a problem."

Right then, looking into his eyes, I knew he was serious. The boy that I had dropped everything for, moved across the country for, was calling it quits. And truthfully, I couldn't blame him. Lately I had been a loose cannon. Showing up at the apartment at all times of the night, drunk off my ass and having no idea what I was doing. The tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, and I blinked rapidly, accepting my fate.

"Fine," I whispered, brushing past him. "I'm leaving."

Miles sighed. "Ember, at least take something with you. Where're you going to go?"

It was at that moment I realized I didn't have anywhere to go. My only family lived on the opposite side of the country, and I hadn't spoken to him in years. Ethan probably didn't want anything to do with me anyway.

"I don't know, Miles. But I'll figure it out." Turning to him, I continued to fight the tears that were threatening to spill down my cheeks. "I always do." With that I turned back to the door and pulled it open.

* * * * *

Of course, Miles being the gentleman he was, he couldn't let me go with nothing. He had grabbed me right before I walked out the door and dragged me back inside, sitting me down on the couch and ordering me to stay. So, I sat there for a few minutes before he came back out and handed me his stash of cash and a bag filled with a few changes of clothes as well as some necessary toiletries.

No matter how much I argued with him, he wouldn't take no for an answer about the money. Even though we were breaking up, he didn't want me left with absolutely nothing. So, I caved before I could break down in front of him. I grabbed the cash and the bag and stormed out the door.

Which is how I ended up on a seven-hour flight back to Valarian City. The whole time I had been seated next to an elderly woman who wanted nothing more than to know my entire life story. She was sweet, but her insistency drove me insane. The minute I was off the plane, I ran for the entrance in order to hail a cab.

So, here I am, another forty-five minutes later, standing outside my brother's apartment building. At least I hoped it was his building. This was the last address I had for him, so I just had my fingers crossed that he hadn't moved. Taking a deep breath, I swung my bag up onto my shoulder and marched up to the front door.