Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I own the original contributions not the underlying work or characters it is based on which belong to E.L. James. All characters and locations in this novella are fictional, and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

May 25, 2020

Anastasia

It's 8:00 AM on Monday. The weekend is over, yet my stifling environment lingers like an unwelcome guest. I commute from my bed to my desk in our cramped two-bedroom Seattle condominium. It marks the start of my fourth week at Grey Enterprise Holdings (GEH). Since the start of the pandemic, my sense of time is off–the days run together.

I click the conference link expecting to see eight immaculate faces populate the screen. I'm holding my breakfast tea, trying to avoid spilling it on my blouse, when an error message pops up. Access denied. I click the link again multiple times, like a fool who hopes the same strategy will achieve different results. Nothing changes. What's going on?

Hyperventilating, I go to GEH's task management system–and it's also down. Weird. There aren't any missed messages on my work phone. My stomach drops. Is management preparing for layoffs? I start dwelling on what could've gotten me fired. I never planned to be an administrative assistant.

I'm going through old emails, knowing I must have missed something, when my phone vibrates on my desk. The accompanying sound reminds me of an emergency alert system–definitely, a bad omen. Snatching it up, I see this text notification:

ATTENTION: GEH is aware of a recent security breach impacting client information.

We are investigating and taking steps to fix it. We will update everyone shortly.

An attack during an already stressful time...why? Russian Hackers? Occupy Wall Street 3.0? Before I form a solid hypothesis, my phone rings, and my boss Andrea's aristocratic face pops up on my screen. I'll get some answers.

There's got to be a technical explanation. Unless layoffs are coming. Would I be able to keep my health insurance?

"Ana! I need you to pay attention," Andrea snaps. "Mr. Grey wants someone from admin to come to headquarters today to sort through the personnel records."

Why is she telling me this? I'm the newest hire on the team. Surely, they don't want me to go in.

"I can't accommodate that request, and neither can some of the other staff members," she insists. "Due to privacy laws, I can't discuss it. So, let me get to the point. Would you be willing to go into the office today as my replacement?"

Andrea pauses, giving me a few seconds to collect myself. All the other administrative assistants were hired before the pandemic. They're experienced with working in-person. They've probably met Mr. Grey before. Why me? Does the whole admin team have pre-existing conditions?

"We normally recruit individuals from more prestigious universities for admin," Andrea confesses. "You were hired, even though your background is different, because of the pandemic."

What does the pandemic have to do with me?

"Your old boss mentioned you had experience with 12-hour shifts and inventory tasks," she explains. "He said you were a hard worker."

Oh! She needs someone who'll get her hands dirty. I wait for her to say more.

She stays silent.

"I can fill in but..."

"Thank you. Mr. Grey will direct you when you arrive." Andrea interrupts. "I'll call you later."