Chapter Three: The Family Dinner

The moment your mind began to fathom languages, you were always told by your parents that your siblings will always be your first bestfriends. Yet, as you silently sat in the luxury family van right across from Seokjin and his punchable face, you realised that they were completely wrong.

"What exactly are you staring at?" you finally asked him, obviously vexed. "Honestly Jin, you are annoying the fuck out of me right now and it hasn't even been ten minutes."

"Language," your mother warned, lifting her head up from the book she was reading to look at your brother. "Seokjin, please stop annoying your little sister."

Jin used to be your halabeoji's favourite grandchild. He spent more time with him than you, Jisoo and Suho combined — and he never forgot to rub it in your faces after every trip. You couldn't remember the moment your relationship fell apart, he doesn't even know it, but you understood what you felt towards him was more indifference than love.

Growing up, he was both the embodiment of your mother's charm and your father's confidence; together, it was perfect. His chiseled, almost-angelic face made every girl swoon and worship him; yet under that façade was a different layer of cruel. You didn't know where to begin with trying to understand him, though, you believe it would be as complex as counting the stars in the night sky.

"You do know that once you get married, you and your wife will be running the companies — which solely means Junmyeon, Jisoo and I will be stripped of all our positions within the company," he said, voice filled with pure bitterness. "Frankly, I don't think you deserve the title just yet."

"Oh, and you think you do?" Jisoo intervened, already noticing your balled-up fists, before you could even speak. "Seokjin, you could've been the future chairman but you took advantage of the privilege that was handed down to you — the same privilege that our family worked so hard for through these years. You're facing the consequences now and you need to start accepting that."

He seemed taken aback by her calm outburst, shaking his head at her as he looked away and stared at the window. If there was one thing he had hated, it was when his little sisters spoke up against him, he hated his ego being openly called out. As impossible of a task if was, you had hoped he would take this short trip to the restaurant to reflect on his life choices.

After the silence grew and the only sound you could hear was the smooth engine of the Rolls-Royce Cullinan, your mind began to think of the woman you had met again in America. She was your closest friend...and one of your first bestfriends. It was not Suho, Jin or Jisoo — fairly enough, they all had their own and it was safe to say that it wasn't any of their siblings.

Yours happened to be your first crush, Princess Lalisa of Thailand. You had met each other again in Harvard whilst she was on an executive program; undeniably, your friendship took off straight away. She was a great dancer and always put the effort in to make you laugh. On some days, she would even sneak out from her royal guards just to see you.

To you, she wasn't the future queen — she was simply Lisa, your bestfriend.

The last time you had spoken was on the day of your flight, though upset that you had to leave for what you both thought was a legitimate family emergency, she promised to come visit you. Truthfully, that was the only thing keeping you from running away to an isolated island.

"We're here, my darling children," your mother announced, pulling you out of your thoughts. "Your father is already inside with the other families, today, we will be welcoming the Parks into our circle."

You couldn't help but groan at the sight of the local journalists camping outside the restaurant building, making the already small Gangnam alley chaotic and compacted. "Who in their right mind would call the press? I thought this was just a simple family dinner."