iii. ; grey space

warnings: alcohol use, swearing, flirting, allusions to cheating, grinding, pet names, arguing, some crying. nc-17.

☆☆☆☆☆

"hey, uh, it's noel. i'm really worried about you. i know i've called and texted you a thousand times but please just pick up the phone. i can't get you off of my mind. please just call me back. please."

noel's voice rang through the speaker of your phone. dried tears stained your cheeks, strands of hair sticking to the streams. you were a mess, to say the least. yet, the one person you knew would make you feel better, you didn't even want to see. you didn't want to see his face. you couldn't face him. the pain would be unbearable.

inside, there was a tumultuous torrent of emotions. despair, fury, betrayal, as well as anxiety swirled within you, creating a sinking feeling in your stomach as you replayed the eighth voicemail. it was voicemail number eight, noel's tone inflected with more and more concern with each message.

a few days had passed since the night noel stopped by. you didn't know how to feel. you didn't even know what to feel about it. more than anything, you wanted some clarification. why he left so early in the morning. why he left you so hurt and confused.

exhaling, you pressed your thumb on the home button, unlocking your phone. the screen lit up, a blurry snapshot of you and noel across the screen.

months prior

"noellllllll," you sang, giddy from the fireball, "we should take a picture!"

noel arched a brow, a wide smile enveloping his features, "why should i take a picture with you? do you know how intoxicated you are right now?"

"and?" you pouted, "i just want a picture with my favorite guy in the whole wide world."

noel blinked, taken aback, "i'm your favorite guy?"

you nodded, a little too enthusiastically, "mhm! don't tell my boyfriend though."

he wrapped an arm around your waist, his hand on the small of your back. his voice, soft and sweet, filled your ear, "don't tell aleena, but i have a secret for you. you're my favorite girl."

your heart skipped a beat, "i am?"

"yes," noel's eyes were warm, full of adoration, "i promise that you are."

noel plucked your phone out of your hand, snapping a picture. glancing around, you noticed the party was thinning down, more and more people strolling out of the apartment by the minute. aleena was away, on a business trip. it was something to do with a clothing brand or something like that. you couldn't remember. besides, she was the last thing on your mind at the moment.

the bass vibrated your toes as you took another shot, the fireball warm as it seeped down your throat. you wrinkled your nose in disgust, chasing down the liquor with the remaining coke on the table. noel stood beside you, his eyes focused on his phone, his brows furrowed.

cody and his girlfriend kelsey were approaching the two of you, cody's cheeks tinged a rosy hue, his eyes glossed over. he was wasted, hanging onto kelsey, "hey you two, have a fantastic, whimsical, night!"

"i am so sorry," kelsey apologized, ensuring her boyfriend wasn't tottering over, "thank you for the party, noel. it was a lot of fun. someone had a little too much fun, huh?"

"see you tomorrow cody," noel chuckled, waving to his best friend, "i hope you have a hell of a hangover in the morning."

"bye (y/n)," kelsey beamed, waving goodbye, "and see ya noel, i'll send you videos later!"