Chapter 5: Two Is Better Than One

"Do you want to save those kids?" 

The question stayed on the board as Hyun stood frozen. The question rang through his head until he finally nods. 

Dusik starts to write instructions and what Hyun could do. "If you keep your phone connected to any numbers you will hear the beeping sound when a monster is nearby. When you make up your mind come and find me."

Jiyoung could only imagine what the boy felt as he left his own space to come to Dusik's apartment. She heard the beeping only momentarily with Dusik days before as they learned what was happening around them. 

How long could he take to get there? Knock, knock. Jiyoung lets out a sigh of relief as Dusik tells him that it was open. The door clicks and creaks open as Hyun slowly walks in huffing. 

Hyun's eyes meet Dusik who sat in his wheelchair and Jiyoung who stood by the bathroom with her arms crossed. She leaned against the door as she looked over Hyun. He looked slightly disheveled but she assumed she did as well. The blue curtains were closed tightly now to block out the outside and leave the three to their own devices. Hyun didn't know what to expect from the duo, but not this. Jiyoung had a blue jacket that fit slightly larger than her with a white tank that was already getting dirty. 

The silence took over the room but Jiyoung quickly took over. "How are you doing?" Hyun stutters for a moment.

"Are you feeling dizzy?" Dusik then asks.

"He- hello." Jiyoung chuckles at Hyun causing him to turn his attention to her. 

"I'm Dusik Hahn. You?" 

Hyun opens his mouth, the beads of sweat dripping down his face. "Hyun... Hyun Cha." The awkwardness stiffened the atmosphere making Jiyoung visibly cringe. 

"Yeah, Dusik, we've met him and I. Right from outside before this whole thing?" Jiyoung tries to say as she laughs. 

"Yeah," Hyun chuckles out with a small smile. 

"You're not very talkative, huh?" 

Hyun fiddles with his made weapon as he turns his attention to the situation. "So, um, how can I save those kids?" 

"Jesus, kid. Look at my leg. You have to go and save them by yourself." Hyun looks down in disappointment but Jiyoung doesn't say a thing. Was her life worth going out there? She could easily say nothing and stay in there. Dusik hesitates before he sees his weapon. "When I was younger, my friends used to call me Mr. Macgyver." Dusik grins at Hyun. "You know what I mean? I was the guy who could build anything with these two hands." 

Jiyoung smiles at the nickname as she learned it around a month before and it stuck with her. 

"Oh." Hyun on the other hand was clueless, never hearing of Macgyver. 

"What I'm telling you is that I can make that thing in your hand into something more useful." 

"Huh? Oh really?" Hyun looks at his weapon, the poorly made weapon that consisted of tape, a knife, and most of a broom.

"Give me that." 

As Dusik got to work on Hyun's weapon, Hyun looked around the small apartment. It was the same size as all the apartments but this one included the pretty girl he met a week ago. Every moment or so, the two made eye contact, Jiyoung would move around until she stood near the bed, and Dusik's work made more noise. Usually the noise would have bothered Jiyoung, being right next to it in her apartment. Now it was almost comforting to have the noise and being in the same space. Being alone would be terrifying. And that seemed to be what Hyun was until he came to this apartment.