Beneath this smile of mine.

Beneath this smile of mine, I was hurting.

                I tried to be the best sister my siblings could ever have.

Beneath this smile of mine, I was suffering.

                It wasn’t like this before. We were happy. We were one happy family. The sound of laughter always echoed in the four corners of our house. Smiling and laughing, that’s our daily routine.

Beneath this smile of mine, silent tears were falling.

                But it all changed ever since that day. She passed away. My most precious mom died. The smiles and laughter that once filled our home were replaced with cries of pain, of agony.

Beneath this smile of mine, I tried to be strong.

                I wiped my tears and put on a fake façade. I must stay strong. For my family.

Beneath this smile of mine, I continued with my daily life.

                The school has been my haven-- the only place wherein I could find some happiness… with him.

Beneath this smile of mine, I was abused.

                My father has changed. Our once cheerful and caring dad was replaced with an alcoholic and abusive father. There was never a day that dad wouldn’t hit us. There was never a day that a yelp of pain wouldn’t echo in the four corners of our house.

Beneath this smile of mine, I tried to be happy.

                I really did try. But I can’t. I just can’t. Since then, I became aloof.

                I wouldn’t smile anymore. I started to distance myself away from everyone—especially ‘him.’ I was afraid. Afraid of what would happen if he would find out. Dad… Dad might do something bad to him and my siblings. No. I won’t allow that.

                Days passed and I couldn’t take it anymore. I want to be free. I want to be happy. But I know that that day won’t come. Not while I’m still alive. And so, I came up with a decision. A decision that would change our lives.

For ‘him,’

                Hey, did you know? Beneath this smile of mine, I have truly loved you after all this time.