Chapter 1: The Meaning to Life

I look out the window, bustling busy places, people with places to be, a meaning to life, vivid sceneries all around. I look at England's peculiar, grand, and sublime clock as it strikes exactly 12:00 AM with a loud and disorderly bang. As though it is practically morning, my eyes begin to shut down and everything around me seems to become blurry, then complete darkness.

I hear the car make a soft pang as it drives into the driveway. My eyes softly flutter open as I groan from exhaustion and despair.

"Thanks," I murmur to the driver, forcing myself to get out of the mini blue car as it leaves the freshly paved driveway.

I gaze at the small homely house with solid khaki colored bricks all lined up in neat rows. On top was a flat roof complete with brown shingles, although a few were out of place.

A mini brown lined garage was attached to it just small enough to fit a car in. The house had small arched windows lined with black edges, with a tiny clump of moss in the corners of them. Beside the dark brown oak door were bright lanterns brightening the house. There was a small crack of light shone from underneath the door.

I took a deep breath and slowly knocked on the door waiting to be invited.

"Who's there?!" Mr Bereshere barks as he opens the door. "Oh, you." he rolls his eyes as he steps aside for me to come in.
I enter the hallway, hanging my trench on the wooden, elegant coat rack. From where I was standing, you could see a thin set of stairs covered in plush carpet leading above.

Another loud shrill voice comes from nearby.
"Who is it Harold?" Mrs Bereshere yells loudly from the kitchen.

"That inauspicious Gwendolyn girl," Mr Bereshere gestures to me.

"Well tell her that she's late," She complains in a shrill voice as I hear the sound of a knife chopping food on a board. "She was supposed to cook us dinner!"

I glance uncomfortably at the lonely potted plant sitting on a smooth wooden side table near the rack as they both have an argument. I felt bad for the plant, it had no one. The leaves hung low, shriveling around the sides. I glance up at the fighting pair.                                                                 Mr and Mrs Bereshere both had fairly chubby features with a sharp chin sticking out. And Mr Bereshere was practically bald with patches of light grey hair on his head. On the other hand Mrs Bereshere had a head full of blonde wild curly hair complete with crimson red lips.

"I agree," my adoptive sister Carmen yells from upstairs. Carmen looks just like her mother except with slight slimmer futures and a more tan skin tone.

I quickly walk by everyone, thumping softly on the staircase as I hold onto the gold tinted rail blinking back tears and I walk up yet another staircase leading to the attic. I suppose I am grateful for them taking me in when I was just four years old, but I always feel empty. Even though I was a year or two older than Carmen, I'm still not enrolled into a school, while she is.

I stepped inside the tiny attic which is supposedly my room. There were no windows, just plain bare walls colored beige. The only light right now was the light cascading in from a vaulted ceiling above. There were a few cobwebs hanging around with tiny dust speckles here and there on the oak floor. In the corner, there was a small plain cot hanging with a bedside table, complete with a few drawers that had a broken handle. Looking at the other side of the room, an old dusty oak bookshelf filled with dozens of books, coated with red paint. Reading, it's perhaps the only thing I do these days. Just beside it was a tiny desk with a desk lamp sitting on it.

I turned on the lamp, creating just enough light to fill the small room.

I picked up a book called "The Magic Beyond", I looked down at the leather-bound novel in my lap. I hadn't noticed until now that I was clutching it with strength I didn't know I had. My knuckles were white and started to ache. The gold ink of the title glared at me with a mysterious glint. Like many of the other books I read, it was filled with adventure and danger at every turn. But above all it made me realize that I were trying to live a different life. I was of course not happy with this one but I was still trying to live it. As time passed, I fell asleep with my book laying down on my chest as I sunk into the warmth.