Chapter Thirty-One

The palace loomed above us, outlined within the night by fire and moonlight.

The city was dying. Seaquakes continued to rock the already shattered city while the Burning Ones laid waste to what was already broken. Streams of red and golden fire streaked overhead, slamming into the water and sending up plumes of spray and rocks. I could hear the N'aín Lu'thān shouting behind us in their guttural language. I could hear my people screaming, shrieking as the city shuddered violently in its death throes.

Another volley of fire overhead from the N'aín Lu'thān ship slammed into a building nearby, sending a flood of water and rocks in our path. The concussive blast vibrated through the air and water, a burst of sound and power that nearly overwhelmed us. Our small group had to swing around quickly, trying to find another way to the palace while avoiding the Burning Ones behind us. Suddenly the air was filled with a voice, a song. My mother singing through the speakers in the city, using her Ak(ae) ̌ffa to both ease fright and inspire courage in the people. I could see her beautiful song taking affect as the screams lessened and the chaos eased.

"What's happening?" Caspian asked.

*My mother sings, lessen fear, boost courage.*

"Really? Ensign Riley, how do you feel?"

The thin pale man grinned. "I can do this captain, I'm not afraid anymore."

"Commander?"

Ronnie frowned. "I feel like I could destroy the whole Rahky fleet myself...is that the song doing this?"

"Seems like it," Caspian said. "The queen is singing to support her people. Is she really that powerful to affect that many people?"

*That is why she is queen; she is that powerful.* And hopefully so was I.

It was one thing to use Ak(ae) ̌ffa on receptive minds, on minds open to it like our people. To use Ak(ae) ̌ffa on minds that were different, closed to it, was another matter. If I had to only sing a few of the Burning Ones to sleep, I would be more confident. But three ships...my chest tightened, and it became harder to breathe. I could feel my heart thudding wildly against my ribs, trying to escape the danger I was putting myself in. But I had to do it, so I let my mother's song sink in, letting every note seep past my flesh and into the blood where they sang so warm and bright that soon my whole body felt as if it were on fire.

I could do this.

I watched as my people race to escape the danger, or to confront it. I watched the city crumble around me, buildings toppling and waves rising higher to consume the shattered buildings and homes of my people. I watched on missile volley slam into the center tower of the I'dòhâ Kulíi, splitting it in half and sending it crashing into the others. I watched the Burnings Ones fulfill their name as they laid waste to my home. And as I watched I felt my heart break to bloody pieces to mirror the broken city around me.

I had to do this.

Soon we were near the palace. The military was concentrated here, as was most of the city as it was protocol for times of danger for civilians to seek refuge in the palace. At first, we found it easy to slip through with the masses of people, but as we made our way through the palace we soon garnered notice from the guards. My brother was able to talk us through, using his Ak(ae) ̌ffa to ease our way so that we could make our way deeper and deeper to the main communications room where my mother was currently singing.

Liiai was waiting outside of the room with a swarm of guards. Shock flooded her face when she saw me and some of the guards pointed their weapons at us. Lán managed to talk them down, but they were uneasy, and I could see we were going to have difficulty getting inside.