Twelve

Please do vote and comment it would make my day :)

A wedding is considered to be a happy and joyful occasion for most people. It brings two people together and forms a bond between them. There are many reasons for a marriage to take place, the first will always be love followed by want, need, convenience, age, etc. Funnily enough Layla was not marrying for any of the reasons stated above, she did not love the Crown Prince, neither did she want or need him. This marriage was definitely not convenient for her and she was only twenty-one years old, so age has nothing to do with it. She was marrying His Highness, Prince Mustafa because that is what His Majesty wanted. And what the King wants the King gets.

Today was her wedding day. She was not exactly happy but neither was she sad. To be honest, she did not really feel anything. Somewhere along the line she had made peace with the fact that this will be her life now. Her marriage was announced nearly a month ago and since then everything happened so fast that she did not have any free time to process it all. So no, she was not excited for her wedding and she could already feel her cheeks hurt from smiling so much the previous night in front of her father, aunt and their extended family that had come to attend her marriage.

Her fiancée, His Highness, Prince Mustafa, was on civil terms with her. Till date she had talked to him once over the phone and met him twice since the announcement of the wedding. She would not describe her relation with him as friendly but more as two people who knew each other and now will have to live with each other forever. Just like all desi marriages to ever exist.

Layla did not have any close relations with the people at the Haveli, except for, with Her Majesty and Prince Ahad, her two most favourite royals in the world. She always admired Princess Sarah for her humanitarian work and her benevolent personality but in reality, she seemed a little different from her media persona. Which made Layla question whether this was a normal thing for people who were always in the public eye. Whether they subconsciously or sometimes consciously made different personalities within themselves, one for the world to see and judge and another which was them in private, their real self.

Would Layla also have to pretend her entire life? This question scared her to the point that she nearly contemplated to run away but where would she hide from the people who literally ruled the country? She was never good at acting or drama, she had tried it a couple of times back in middle school but it did not work out for her. She sucked at lying or hiding things. And to be honest, telling the truth was a lot easier than lying because one lie always led to another, no matter what, this was something her mother taught her as a child.

Layla might not be excited for her wedding but there were however, other people who were very excited for it. Like Zara, Noorein, their father, their aunt, the rest of Mughlaan and quite possibly the world. The nikah ceremony was going to take place at the Umar Masjid. Thousands of journalists, photographers and people from all around the world were waiting there for them since last night. They were all camped outside since more than 24 hours just to catch a glimpse of the future King and Queen of Mughlaan. Yet all Mahira could say to Layla was to remain calm and composed. Sure, it was not like the entire world was watching every step she took. It's all cool.

Layla wanted to look perfect tonight not because it was her wedding but because she could not take any more negative comments on her appearance from random people on the internet. It broke her a little every time she read it. Her make up was done by the most famous make up artist in the country. She was wearing her wedding dress.

She loved her mother's bridal dress. It was a red dress with a red dupatta which was heavily embroidered. She always wanted to wear that dress for her own wedding but she knew she could not tell this to Her Majesty. People had been speculating for weeks about who was going to design her wedding dress. She had to look like a royal if she was going to be one. So, she decided to suck it up and wear whatever it is Her Majesty had planned.