9. UNIFORM

Alex and Alec sat on the bus and frowned. It was busy and the traffic was getting pretty bad. Alex pulled her beanie tighter on her head and Alec fiddled with his own. It was chilly outside and the bus offered protection from the cold, Alex took her gloves off so she could warm her hands up slightly. It took them about half an hour to reach their stop and they got off into the buffeting wind. There were a lot of people walking around and Alec checked the address on the piece of paper.

"It should just be around the corner here," he said, tucking the scrunched up paper into his pocket again.

And it was. The twins hurried inside and the old woman behind the till looked up as they scurried inside.

"Afternoon," she smiled.

"Yes, good afternoon," Alex smiled and walked up to her. "Could you point us towards the Hampstead School uniform, please?"

"Of course dear," she smiled.

Alex left her brother looking at the heavy metal t-shirts, he gravitated towards the Metallica ones and whistled when he saw the price tag.

"Alec!" Alex hissed. "Get over here and tell me what size you are!"

He reluctantly moved away and joined his sister and the old lady, they sorted out ties and blazers, Alex found a nice pair of trousers and shoes while Alec struggled with choosing.

"I don't like either of them," he moaned holding up the best pairs of shoes.

Alex pointed at her favourites. "Those ones, they look smarter."

She found a couple of blouses and made her way to the till with both of their clothes, she peeled a few notes from the small wad and waited patiently as the old woman scanned the tags. Alex returned to her brother with two big bags and gave him his.

"Let's go find a café," she suggested. "I need a hot drink."

The two pulled their hats over their ears again and pulled their scarves tighter around their necks. They set out into the cold wind again and hurried down the street to a Café Nero. It was fairly busy inside, most of the people were hugging cups of tea and coffee in their hands, desperately using the heat to warm their extremities.

"There's a free table there," Alec pointed.

They shuffled off and sat down. A bleached-hair waitress came over with a notepad and hastily scribbled down two hot chocolates and a slice of chocolate cake.

"I can't believe we have to go to school," Alec moaned.

"We have to blend in, Janet will get suspicious if we don't appear normal," Alex said just as the waitress returned with their drinks and Alec's cake.

*

The cherubs ran to the bus stop as it started to rain. They dived inside and Alex paid for the bus fare. Alec went to get seats at the back of the bus and his sister quickly joined him. It was a good couple of minutes before the engine started and, as it did, a young woman dived in. She had dark hair that was soaked, she wore a leather jacket and dark jeans, she was a bit taller than Alex and seemed only a bit older than the twins. She obviously didn't fit in with the surroundings.

"Weather's awful," she smiled and sat across from the cherubs.

Alex and Alex exchanged a look that said she's looking for us and they turned back to the front. The traffic had eased off slightly and it took less time to get to the bus stop not far from the care home. The cherubs hopped off at their stop and were followed by the young woman. The kids stashed their clothes in their coats and hurried through the rain, the young woman ran to catch up to them.