Chapter One (Part Two)

May 7, 1915
R.M.S Lusitania
2:00 P.M

The ship was slicing through the ocean like a cheese cutter. Clean and crisp. Ripples in the water followed the mighty vessel as she steamed east. In the near distance, as far as Millie could see, was an island.

She knew exactly what that island was. It was the Old Head of Kinsale. Just faintly could she make out a towering lighthouse. The island, from afar of course, was small. If you focused your sights hard enough, you would be able to make out the small houses that lined the cliffs of the island along with the mass amount of greenery.

It was a peaceful day out. The sun was shining. The skies were bright blue, as was the ocean. There was a slight breeze blowing from the East. As the ship plowed forward, the smoke being released from the funnels, trailed backwards in the air.

Behind the majestic liner, for about a miles or so, a wake was seen. Her four powerful engines were truly a work of art. They were the beating heart of the entire ship. Providing power, heated water, and heat to keep guests warm during the chilly evenings.

As for Millie, she was on an afternoon stroll up on deck. She was holding a small umbrella handle in her hand. Her hair was neatly done in braids. Due to the cold temperatures today, she was wearing a long, wavy skirt. She had a fleece, button up white sweater resting on her shoulders to keep her arms warm.

As she strolled the deck, taking in the immense beauty the Lusitania offered, she glanced out at the island once more. She smiled faintly.

"Almost there," Millie mumbled to herself, "home."

Becoming more anxious as the ship got ever so closer to England, the thought of being in a war zone deteriorated. Forgetting about the potential danger she and everyone else aboard the ship were in, all she could think about was returning home and sleeping in a comfy bed once more.

"Pretty, isn't it?" A familiar voice said from behind her. She turned around and saw Fredrick standing behind her. He had his hands in his pants pockets.

Millie was surprised to see him again. Sure, they've seen each other before. But never had they met before like this. Third Class wasn't allowed up on deck. Somehow, Fredrick didn't seem to care much about the rules. Even if it meant being locked up until the ship docks.

"Yes," she said with a smile, "it is."

"Would you care to join me in a stroll?" Fredrick asked. He held his hand out. Millie scoffed and rolled her eyes dramatically. She glanced down at his hand. Lifting her hand and setting it down on his hand, she answered his question.

"Shall we?" Millie said as they both began slowly walking down the starboard deck. Large white, wooden lifeboats lined the deck. They were obstructing the view of the incoming island. But that didn't matter. What mattered was that Millie felt safe by Fredricks' side.

Nothing else mattered when she was around him. You could say that something was beginning to sprout between the two. What would Millie have done if he didn't bump into her in New York? Having someone to talk to, to be with in that case, was comforting. Maybe they were meant to be? One thing's for certain...her family and Edward would approve of Fredrick. So what if he wasn't rich. Millie wasn't either. England was both of their best chances of starting over.

"So about last night," Fredrick said, "I forgot to ask you something."

"Pardon my manners Fredrick, but I'd prefer to not talk about last night," Millie stated.

Fredrick sighed as he reached into his jacket pocket. A small, cylinder and golden pocket watch was taken out. He glanced down at the time. The time was now 2:10 p.m. There was still a possibility of lunch still being served.