prologue

"The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a neutral world, a human world. They wield it's power, but our ally knows it's working, so that they never will learn. He's ready to lead, and our force, our Chitauri will follow. The world will be his and the universe, yours. And the humans, what can they do, but burn?"

*******************************************

Maria and Nick stepped out from the helicopter that had just landed. "How bad is it?" Nick asked. "That's the problem sir. We don't know" Phil replied. "Dr. Selvig read an energy source from the Tesseract four hours ago. NASA didn't authorize Selvig to pull the test phase. He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room" Phil explained. "Spontaneous advancement It just turned itself on?" Maria asked. "What are the engine levels now?" Nick asked. "Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac" Phil said. "How long to get everyone out?" Nick questioned. "Campus should be clear in the next half hour" Phil answered. "Do better" Nick said. "Sir, evacuation may be futile" Maria warned him as she followed him down the stairs.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Nick asked. "If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance" she explained. "I need you to make sure the phase 2 prototypes are shipped out" Nick said. "Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Maria asked. "Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of phase 2 on a truck and gone" Nick ordered. Maria paused for a moment, then began walking away. "Yes, sir. Come with me" she said. Nick walked into the room. "Talk to me, Doctor" he said. "Director" Selvig said. "Is there anything we know for certain?" Nick asked. "Tesseract is misbehaving" he informed him, then he poked the Tesseract, and energy came from the stone. "Is that supposed to be funny?" Nick asked, in a serious tone. "No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's... misbehaving" Selvig said.

"I assume you pull the plug?" Nick asked. "She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level..." Selvig began. "We've prepared for this, doctor. Harnessing energy from space" Nick pointed out. "We don't have the harness. My calculations are far from complete. And she's throwing off interference, radiation" he said as Nick glanced at the Tesseract. "Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation" Selvig said. Nick gave him a serious look. "That can be harmful. Where are Agent Barton and (L/n)?" He asked. "The Hawk? Up in his nest, as usual. She's with him." Selvig said as he pointed. "Agent Barton and (L/n), report to me" he said. You and Barton slid down from a rope and onto the ground. "I gave you this detail so you could keep a close eye on things" Nick said as he walked alongside Barton.

"Well, I can see better from a distance" Barton said. "Have you seen anything that might set this thing off?" Fury asked. "Doctor, it's spiking again" an agent said. "No one's come or gone" you said. "Selvig's clean. No contacts, no I.M.'s" Selvig said. "If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end" Barton said. Fury looked at him "At this end?" He repeated. "Yeah, the cube is a doorway to the other end of space, right?" You asked. "Doors open from both sides" you said. "Not yet" Selvig said. Suddenly blue energy from the Tesseract began to shoot out. Then the Tesseract began to glow and a bright blue light shot out from the Tesseract, aiming toward the other side of the room. The light caused an explosion, and then the light disappeared. Everyone walked slowly toward where the light was aiming.

Loki smirked, and looked at all of the agents. It was silent for the longest moment, until Fury spoke. "Sir, please put down the spear!" He demanded. Loki slowly looked at the spear in his hands, which had some of the energy that was from the Tesseract. Then he pointed the spear toward Fury, you and Barton, and blasted you all down with a blast of energy that came from the spear. Other agents began shooting at him, but Loki hit each one, causing them to fall to the ground. Loki looked around the room, and grabbed Barton as he had just recovered from his attack. Barton grunted as he tried to escape his grasp, but to no avail. Loki looked at him. "You have a heart" Loki said, then touched the place where his heart would be with his spear. Energy went through his body and took control of him. Loki smirked, and pulled the spear back. You looked at them, and quickly grabbed the Tesseract, placing it inside a suitcase.

You were about to leave, until Loki spoke. "Please don't" he said. "I still need that" he said. You looked at him slightly. "This doesn't have to get any messier." You said. "Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose" he said. Selvig looked at him in surprise and stood back to his feet. "Loki, brother of Thor?" He asked. "We have no quarrel with your people." Fury said. "An ant has no quarrel with a boot." Loki said. "Are you planning to step on us?" Fury asked. "I come with glad tidings, of a world made free" Loki said. "Free from what?" You asked. "Freedom. Freedom is life's great lie. Once you accept that, in your heart..." Loki said, then he hit Selvig with his spear, doing the same thing to him that he did to Barton. "You will know peace" Loki said.

"Yeah, you say peace, I kind of think you mean the other thing" you said. "Sir, Agent (L/n) is stalling" Barton said. "This place is about to blow. And drop a hundred feet of rock on us" Barton said as he walked over to Loki. "She means to bury us" Barton said. "Like the pharaohs of old" Fury said. "He's right, the portal is collapsing in on itself. We've got maybe two minutes before this goes critical" Selvig said. Loki looked at Barton. "Well, then" he said. Barton shot you down. And you dropped the suitcase. Loki grabbed it, and walked away with Barton and Selvig. Maria spotted them with Loki as they walked into the parking lot. "I need these vehicles" Barton said. Maria looked at Loki suspiciously. "Who's that?" She asked. "They didn't tell me" Barton replied.

"Hill, do you copy? Barton has turned-" Nick was cut off as Barton began shooting at Maria. Maria quickly dodged, and grabbed her gun, shooting back at them as they drove away. Nick ran out of the room. "They have the Tesseract! Shut them down!" Nick shouted. Maria got into her own car and drove after the car with Loki, Barton and Selvig. Another agent began shooting at the car from their window. Loki held his spear, and shot the car. Which crashed into the wall, then flipped upside down. Meanwhile you and Nick were making a run for it as you ran as fast as you could away from the building. Maria drove in front of the car Loki and the agents were in, and drove her car in front of them. Maria began shooting, and they shot her as well. "We're clear upstairs sir, you two need to go" Phil said. You and Nick ran out of the building and into his helicopter. Barton sped up, and shoved Maria's car out of the way, and continued driving.

Maria followed behind them. You and Nick took off in his helicopter just as a bunch of energy was released throughout the building, causing explosions around the entire building that could be seen from a distance. You watched the building crumble to the ground from the window of his helicopter. Nick caught up to Loki and the agents in his helicopter and flew it above them. Nick opened the door to his helicopter and you began shooting at Loki and the agents. Loki shot the helicopter down with his spear, and you and Nick jumped out of the helicopter before it crashed into the ground. Once it crashed, it slid across the grass and caught on fire. You stood on your knees as you shot bullets at the car with Loki and the agents as they drove away. "Director? Director Fury, do you copy?" Phil asked. "The Tesseract is with a hostile force. I have men down. Hill?" Nick asked. Maria climbed out from her car. "A lot of men still under, I don't know how many survivors" she said. "Sound a general call, I want every living soul not working rescue looking for that briefcase" Nick said. "Roger that" Maria said. "Coulson, get back to base. This is a Level Seven. As of right now, we are at war" Nick said. "What do we do?" Phil asked.