Mafuyu, Yuki and Maki's Winter Story

It's a warm and quiet summer day, with the cicadas humming in the background. A young Mika Ito is laying on her stone floor to keep cool. Sweat drips down the side of her face past her small ears. Her thin hair sticking to her skin. She looks out her window with a longing look. Her father had nailed it shut as a punishment for "misbehavior". She can't even get the relief of a breeze on this hot day. Just outside she can see a couple of birds flying around in circles.

She gets up to look at the birds better and sees across the street a little boy is sitting by himself at the base of a tree. His messy orange hair peeking out over the tall grass. Mika's interest gets the better of her and she decides to go outside.

She walks out of her room and slowly creeps down the hall past her parents room. Where her father is snoring loudly. Carefully she tiptoes as she walks by, the floor creaks lightly but she is so light it doesn't alert her father. Downstairs however, her mother is cooking but her gaze is transfixed on a tv program. Mika goes up to her and asks in a meek voice "can I go outside and play?" Her mother doesn't turn but waves her off.

Mika slips on her little pink flip flops and heads out the door. The bright sunlight is blinding but she still looks both ways before crossing the street. She walks down the little hill to the tree where the boy is sitting, curled up against the tree.

He looks sad and afraid. She walks up to him and he doesn't bother to look at her. She sees his red eyes and begins to worry.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt or lost?" She squats to talk to him.

The boy shakes his head. Mika smiles and asks if she can sit with him. He nods and she takes a seat next to him. She looks out at the river in front of them.

"My name is Mika. I saw you from my window", he finally looks at her, "you looked lonely. Can we be friends?"

She looks at him with tears in her eyes and he starts to tear up too. He nods.

"Can I hold your hand?" she asks. He simply nods and opens his hand for her.

She smiles softly and slips her hand into his. They both sit in silence for a moment until he tries to speak to her.

"My name is Ma-"

He is quickly cut off by a boy running past them making engine noises, holding a brightly colored toy airplane. The boy trips a bit when he notices them.

"Oh sorry I didn't see you guys!" He looks down to see them holding hands, "are you to boyfriend and girlfriend?"

Mika jumps up, still holding hands, with a bright red face.

"W-we are not! I was just sad and he was making me feel better"

The new boy shrugs and says "Okay well, do you want to play? My name is Yuki by the way"

"I'm Mika and yes, but only if he wants to", gesturing to the ginger.

Yuki turns to the boy holding hands with Mika. She also realizes she doesn't know his name yet. They both look at him.

"Can you talk?" asks Yuki.

"My dad hits me if I talk", the boy talks in a soft voice.

Mika starts shaking and her grip tightens slightly. She starts to look sad and says "My dad isn't good either".

Yuki looks at them both and gets angry, understanding what they mean. He quickly grabs their hands, shocking them out of their sadness.

"Whatever, let's have some fun", he says, pulling them towards him.

They both look at him like he is a shinning.

The ginger speaks up "My name is Mafuyu".

Yuki smiles "Nice to meet you both".