Six

"I'm sorry, officer, there must be a mistake. Adam is at his mother's house this weekend." Garvan smiled at the police officer standing on his doorstep.
"Alright. Thank you for your time, Mr. Emerson. Have a good rest of your night."
"Thank you, sir. You, too." He says, turning to go back inside. He shut the door, and the woman who he had brought home looked up at him from where she sat on the couch, a bottle of wine in hand. She didn't question why the police were there, but Garvan could see in her eyes that she was wondering the reason for the officer coming to his door at this time of the night. He'd have to deal with Adam later, but for now his fury needed to be contained.

"I'll be right back, darling. I have to go get changed." He smiles at her, feigning fatigue. He went to his bedroom down the hall. In there, he got changed in black and grabbed a belt. It was a long and thin belt used for his work clothes. Black, like the clothes he changed into. Black, long sleeved shirt, black pants, black boots, black gloves, black mask. The mask hid his identity-- all was hidden but his emerald orbs that were only seen through small holes. He couldn't breathe as clearly with the mask on, but it was worth it in the end.

Garvan walked back out of his room and crept down the hall. He knew this house like the back of his hand by now, and he avoided parts of the floor that made a loud creaking sound whenever he stepped there. Once he got to the living room, there was a scream that was cut short abruptly as he wrapped the belt around the woman's neck as tight as he could. She clawed at his hands desperately, gasping and choking in her fruitless attempt to escape.

"Be quiet, darling," He whispers in her ear, yanking the belt up. The girl made a sharp kch noise as she gurgled, then went silent. Garvan held the belt for a few more seconds to be sure that she had fainted, then he checked her pulse to make sure she was still alive. He then unwrapped the belt and, with some effort, draped the woman over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, grabbed her bottle of wine, and snuck out the back door. He walked a good distance from the house to go to an alley, dumping her body in the alleyway with her bottle of wine. Staged to look like a drunk slut.

Later, at home, Garvan had forgotten about Adam after nearly killing the woman. He was tired now, so he got changed and crawled into bed. He made sure to turn off the lights in the house and lock all the doors, doing a rundown check in his head as he drifted off to sleep.

~

Adam had spent the night crying. He was told that if he called the police, the woman would be killed. After Jack didn't rescue him, he was sure that his father had turned away the police and killed the woman. Hearing the cellar door open made him snap his head up and his attention to the figure coming down the stairs. He quickly shoved the phone in his pocket before his father came to be in full view.
"Come upstairs. Breakfast is ready." He says gruffly, turning around. He lumbered along the stairs to go back up, leaving the door open this time.

Adam didn't hesitate to scramble to his feet, grabbing the plate from last night to bring it upstairs and put it in the sink. He had eaten everything, considering he isn't usually fed when his father is in one of his bad days, the ones when his mind breaks. He got upstairs within seconds and sat down at the table. There, he found a plate of French toast covered in syrup and butter, topped with black berries and raspberries with bacon on the side.

His heart sank to his stomach as a high pitched voice sounded from behind him. "Hey, kiddo!" A woman called out. "You must be Adam. Oh, your father couldn't stop rambling on about you. I'm so sorry for your loss."
"My mother isn't dead. She left us." Adam mutters, taking a bite of his French toast. He already didn't like this woman.
"Oh, he said that she passed away when you were six. Due to illness, no?"
"She left us," Adam repeats bitterly.
The woman let out a small sigh, ruffling his hair as she walked passed him to sit at the table across from him.
"Alright, let's not get off on the wrong foot here. My name is Emma."
Adam didn't say a word. He didn't even look up at her while she was talking. He knew he was being disrespectful, but he resented this woman from the moment she started talking. His father was trying to replace his mother and he didn't like it for a second. Each woman he brought in only fueled the fire to Adam's anger.