ten

The clouds hovered in the tangerine dawn, and the city of DC stirred awake in the promise of a fresh morning. Spencer walked down the empty paths of Georgetown University, a couple of books cradled carefully in his arms. He turned left into a modest park and settled himself on the park bench, flipping over the front cover of the first book.

It had been a week since they had flown back from Nashville after the case of the Belmont University killer, and the team was rewarded with a week off work. It had been Spencer's birthday a couple of days ago, and he celebrated it together with his mother in Las Vegas. He flew back just as soon as he left.

He had finished the first section of the book.

Spencer was due back to the BAU headquarters in less than 3 hours, and he showed no signs of departing, reading books under the soft glow from the rising sun. He didn't know what he did in DC or why he came, he just needed somewhere to get away. He felt like prey being chased by a hunter, but he had no idea what or who he was running from. He'd have to take a train back from Washington Union Station to Quantico.

He came to Georgetown for the weekend and met up with a philosophy professor who recommended a set of books for him to read, and coincidentally, they're all about feeling lost and emotional in life. He hadn't realised they were an indication for him until he had stared down at the titles in the park, and cursed the professor for being slick. In truth, he was thankful because the words seemed to be getting to his jumbled brain.

In the serene atmosphere, Spencer had almost finished his third book when his stomach started rumbling like thunder. He exhaled in defeat, packed the books into his sling shoulder bag and set off to a delicate cafe he'd always visit when he was in DC. He walked down the vacant streets, slightly out of place in what he was wearing and for one, felt nothing like the careless runners breezing past him with music pumping in their ears.

"Hello?" the blonde barista called out when he opened the door, causing the bell to ring as he stepped into the empty and cozy confines of the room. Too early for customers at this hour of the morning, Spencer was glad of its peacefulness as he scanned the beige decorated room; plants hanging from the ceiling and the mellow glow of fairy lights in lanterns.

He approached the counter. "Hey Mallory, good to see you."

"Spence?"

Mallory Foster widened her eyes in surprise and exited from the side of the counter to give him a warm hug, and Spencer bathed in the assuring scent of the perfume she always wore since her days in college. He'd always visit Mallory whenever he was in DC even if she tore his heart in pieces years ago. He was too forgiving for his own good.

"What are you doing here?" She let go of him and left him with a lingering sadness that filled him up whenever she did. "Another case? Don't tell me there's a serial killer here-"

"Oh, no, definitely not. I had a week off and I visited Georgetown for the weekend. I figured I'll drop by before I leave."

Mallory circled behind the counter and began throwing coffee beans into the machine, and Spencer was aware that she'd always make his favourite combination whenever he came. He leaned against the glass display and watched her as she danced around the small space lightly.

"Why didn't you come earlier, we could've hung out?"

Spencer bit his tongue. "It was my birthday a few days ago, I was in Vegas."

She paused, and her mouth opened slightly. "O-oh dude, sorry, I completely forgot. How old are you turning now?"

"Twenty-six. I'm getting old."

"Yeah, you were in grad school when I was nineteen and lecturing me when I was a junior in college. It was such a long time ago...almost like a fever dream."