Chapter One (Part 4)

Part 🕓

A thrill of a hallelujah erupts my mind. The fact that I made it out was going to be enough for me, but I made it all the way to Water Clock...

"Do you have a name?" The young man asks me again.

I try and find words, or at least another name for myself, but I can't. "Elizabeth."

He grins. "Hi Elizabeth. I'm Dominick," he reaches for me to shake my hand. I take it gently. I look down to see the difference of dirty hands from clean, but my eyes don't see that. They see two clean hands. One of which is attached to my own arm!

I let out a shriek of amazement. I can see pale skin that isn't covered in soot, dust, or oil. I look up at Dominick with a quizzical look. Who was the one to clean me?

"Don't worry. One of the women who work downstairs help clean you up. She's very kind."

My mind races. The respect that this man gave me exceeds any expectation I would have had for anyone. Could it be that Water Clock is actually more civilized than Oil? Although what happened to all Clocks dying the same? This mustn't be right. Or is it?

Dominick hesitates. "What do you know...?"

What an odd question. What do I know? I know so much more now than ever before! I know the not all Clocks broke, true civilized society exists, and that I escaped from Oil Clock. "I don't know very much... if you mean about the past. In Oil Clock they never provided us with any kind of education."

Dominick's eyes started to grow. "Oil Clock, you say?"

"Yes, may I ask why?"

Dominick shakes his head towards me. "It's amazing you made it out. You must be very strong willed to do such an act."

I feel blush sneaking into my cheeks. "I suppose I am... I have a reason to be."

"Oh? And why is that that reason?" He lightly chuckles to himself.

"My belated mother, Melissa." I watch Dominick's face become blank and pale.