Chapter One: The Patient

Lena and Sam stood in line, backlit by twinkling globe lights and steampunk décor,  surrounded by other young professionals waiting to order their daily dose of caffeine. The "Coffee Muse" was overpriced and overrun with aspiring actors and actresses, all hoping to get discovered. Lena was dressed to intimidate and impress with her short black dress and her long suit jacket. Her shiny black hair was smooth as silk and she wore an intense red lip.

"I've heard this place is good," Sam said with a cheerful smile.

"I feel like I'm going to be sick," Lena said, her face paler than usual. 

"Lena, everything is going to be fine."

"Sam, this deal could make or break my career. If I get this, there's no stopping me."

"But look at you. Your stress is hitting a breaking point. All you do is work. You don't eat, you don't sleep, and you sure as hell don't fuck."

Lena looked around embarrassed and grabbed Sam's arm.

"Jesus, Sam! Use your inside voice to tell your outside voice to please shut up," Lena whispered.

"Sorry. I just mean that you don't have a life. Maybe this isn't what you want."

"Listen, I have worked my ass off trying to get to this place in my career. I need this. This is all I know."

"Know more. You're boring," Sam said playfully.

"I love you too."

"So, what are you going to say in the big meeting?"

Lena didn't respond. Her attention was laser focused on something behind Sam.

She watched her talking to the woman behind the counter. She was radiant. Her long blonde hair, her adorable smile, those glasses, and the blue eyes behind them. She was wearing a little dress shirt and slacks. She looked soft and warm. Lena had never felt such an intense attraction to anyone in all her life. Every part of her wanted to go up to the beautiful grinning blonde and kiss her mouth until they ran out of breath.

That smile. Look at that smile. It breaks my heart.

Lena heard the woman speak, and she was a goner. That voice. That voice was incredible. That voice gave Lena a tingle where it mattered. It was sweet and kind but Lena could imagine how sexy it would be to have her whisper in her ear as she held her from behind. Lena had never felt such an intense want or need. 

"Lena! Lena! Are you listening to me?," Sam asked, grabbing her arm.

Lena snapped out of it just as the woman walked away. She shook her head and rejoined the land of the living.

"Yeah. Sorry, Sam. Just... did you see that woman who was just ordering coffee?"

"No. Where?"

"Never mind. What were we talking about?", Lena asked.

"No, who did you see?"

"There was just this woman. She was stunning and her voice. Wow. "

"Where is she? You've been living like a monk. I'm getting you laid," Sam said with a pump of her fist.

"She's blonde. She's with another woman who had short hair. She was wearing glasses, a blue dress shirt and slacks."

Lena couldn't stop grinning.

"Weird."

"What's weird?"

"I don't think I've ever seen you smile like that... well, ever. We definitely need to find her."