Chapter 1

My body stiffened as a petite morena woman wearing maroon checkered long sleeves and dark jeans entered the office. Looking strict and unapproachable.

She smiled formally for a few seconds as she walked towards the table. She sat down, picking up the folder. Without taking a second look at me, she opens the folder and scans it.

My resumé's inside.

Though I'm pretty sure that I've run through that resumé a hundred times, I'm having doubts about it right now. Asking if I missed something. Grammar, spelling, important information.

"Do you have a nickname?" she asked promptly.

"Viera, Ma'am," I answered stiffly, being confused with the question.

Is there something wrong with my name? Riley Rei Riviera is not a bad name. But I must admit that it's long and stuttery.

She nodded and proceeded. Read aloud. "Architecture Technology and Bachelor of Science in Architecture graduate at Technological University of the Philippines."

She paused, peering at me."Same here," beaming a quick smile then get going. Not even giving me a chance to react.

Knowing that someone's from my alma mater does not give me a thrill. I'm more uncomfortable with the idea.

"Fresh grad! May plano ka bang kumuha ng licensure examination?" she asked while raking a hand through her soft jet black hair then closes the folder and gave me her full attention.

Her brown eyes were too focused on my face that it even made me feel uncomfortable. It was so intense and deep like it was looking right through my soul.

"Yes, Ma'am. I will, but it's not one of my priorities as of this moment."

She pursed her lips, glaring at me as if expecting something. "Just so you know, we're not an architectural firm. Though we have architects here, I don't wanna give you high hopes that one of them will mentor you and sign your logbook. So, if you're looking for an architect to sign your future logbook. We cannot provide that."

Unwelcoming monologue, I thought. However, I nodded and smile. I don't have any choice, anyway.

"Thank you for letting me know, Ma'am. Pero wala pa siya sa utak ko ngayon."

Well, that's not part of my plan when I applied to Marisson. Sadyang nagmamadali lang ang Daddy na makapagtrabaho ako. I cannot blame him. After eighteen years of paying for my education, sino ang hindi matutuwang makalaya sa gastos sa akin at sa kapatid kong bunso.

Yes, my youngest sister, Eidderf, will be my responsibility now. Financially. I've got no objection to that part. My Mom and Dad deserve to enjoy their lives now. They're too old to worry about my sister's welfare.

"If I may ask, what is your priority now?"

"Not to be a burden," I said straightforwardly. Not even blinking just to make a point. 

Taking a deep breath, she smiled once again. Nodding like she's contented with my answer. "As far as I'm concern, Jana told me that you've passed the exam yesterday. With an average score."

Really? Thank you for highlighting that part, Ma'am.

"How about the requirements Jana mentioned yesterday? Nakompleto mo na ba?"

"Not yet. But, I'll complete it within this week."

She nodded then sigh. Tapping the folder like she's killing a mosquito before standing up. "Okay. Let's go inside. I'll introduce you to the team."

I followed her while slowly letting out my breath. Nervously bit my lower lip and tightly gripped the straps of my bag as I stepped in

"Everyone!"

I swallowed thick as literally everyone looked in our direction. Different faces with the same expression. Surprised yet smiling. It made me feel at ease a little bit.

"This is Viera, our new workmate. She'll assist Maria," the short-haired woman with big eyeglasses waved her hand as if mutely introducing herself as Maria.

I smiled politely.

"But for now," she tapped my shoulder, I automatically looked at her. "I'll brief you about our work."

I nodded and follow her, again, walked to another room with the same set-up as the first room we've entered. White walls and ceiling, fluorescent lamp lined up above generally lighting up the whole area. Sets of office tables and chairs laid out linearly. But the most noticeable for a tidy-perfect maniac like me is the invisible computer cable wires.

This is heaven! 

She guided me to the lounge area and signaled to sit down, then pulled an office chair nearby.

"So for a quick background, Marisson is a lighting design company, the best in the country. We are more focused on casinos, resorts, malls, offices, theaters, hotels, and restaurants. However, we have minimal residential projects because," she paused. "Good quality lighting design is expensive. Not everyone can afford it."

I collected air trying to absorb the information.

"We have five teams here headed by the project heads. Maria, Victor, Yanna, Bobby and me. And as I've said earlier, you'll be under Maria's team where you'll mainly handle hotel and resorts."

That sounds exciting! "Can you give me samples of the projects you've already done or doing?"

Her lips curved upward. "You'll discover those, eventually." She said in that reassuring voice adults always used.

"Oh right," I mumbled, nodding half-heartedly. "Confidentiality."

"Correct."

Then why hire me if you don't trust me? I wanna scrub that on her face but I just smiled. Of course, she has a point. I'm new and still in the provisional stage.

After that, we've discussed the design phases that the company usually offers, what are the contents of a certain design phase. She also shares how to file my future files, how to name it properly, and many more.

And there are things that I realized after that. First, lighting design is quite interesting. Second is she's really good with her job. And lastly, her fingers and nail are beautiful, long and candle-shaped.

I am attentively listening, interacting and a little bit distracted about praising her fingers when a high-pitched voice woman stops our conversation.

"Hi!" She waved a hand as she quickly enters the room. Carrying folders triple the size of the folder we're discussing minutes ago. "I'm Yanna. Alyanna Lopez. You're Riley Rei Riviera, right?"

I nodded. Disoriented.

"Tala, how are you gonna call her, then?" Ms. Yanna asked the woman beside me. Trying not to burst out a laugh.

Despite the confusion about what's their problem with my name, I'm more bothered with the realization that I still don't know the name of the woman beside me.

Hindi ko pa rin alam ang pangalan niya!

"It's Tala Lagdamayo, just so you know."

I slightly parted my lips and act surprise as I slowly turn to her. Forcing a smile. Should've taken an acting class before. It'll be helpful. "Nice meeting you, Ms. Tala."

"We've met long enough for that phrase, Viera."

Oh right! It's not nice meeting you, then.

🧡💛

Author's Note:

Pagpasensyahan nyo na ang English ko. Though it may sound so cliché, practice makes progress. So help me correct my grammar. 😊

-JR_Castillo