Chapter 2

After months of working in Marisson, I slowly started to adapt to my new environment. I was getting used to working from eight o'clock in the morning until six in the afternoon. Doing my best to help anyone in the office. Like printing, filing, AutoCAD sheeting, and putting dimensions.

Though we've got a subject covers lighting during college, I am learning so many different things that were foreign to me. It was like a new different level.

I'm also starting to get used to my officemates. It amazes me when everyone's loud for a few minutes and will keep quiet afterward.

But Ma'am Tala was a whole different story. She's usually quiet, and serious. Mysterious. And will only joke around with Kuya Victor, her best friend.

Kuya Victor is the one who told me that Ma'am Tala has mispronouncing issues between R and W when fastly utter. That my full name is quite perfect to tease her. The reason why they are teasing Ma'am Tala during my first day.

"Wiley Wei," maarteng tawag sa akin ni Steve nang dumaan ako sa pwesto niya dala ang gamit sa pag-uwi. Replacing R to W, intentionally.

It become my nickname for Steve.

Our officemates laugh at his remark. I don't know if Ma'am Tala heard us but I'm sure that she'll just ignore it.

Maria and I exchanged goodbyes even if she's still busy working.

Though it's already six o'clock, most of my officemates are still there, extending their work hours. Especially Steve who is doing a certain mall conceptual design presentation. He's part of the graphic arts department. The employees whose works are always in a rush.

I take a glance at Steve's work and I must say that it was pretty impressive. Another reason why I love Marisson. The bosses are refusing to accept any standard short of perfection.

"Uwi ka na agad, Viera? Akala ko mag-iinom tayo?" he added, still looking at his computer's monitor.

"Sorry," I quickly said. "Maybe next time."

He jokingly groaned, supported by Kuya Victor who's now waiting for his 'drinking buddies.'

"Sama ka na! Sabay na lang kayong umuwi ni Tala tutal magkalapit lang naman tinutuluyan ninyo." Kuya Victor persuading me with his Batangeño accent.

I beamed. No answer.

There are two reasons why I don't want to go to. First, I have to arrange my laundry for tomorrow because I always go home to Cavite every weekend. The second is I don't drink.

I never tasted any alcoholic drinks in my whole twenty-one years.

I don't. I won't. And never will.

And there's an added reason why I don't want to go. I don't want to go home with Ma'am Tala. It'll be awkward as hell!

"Next time," I repeated.

After a few more exchanges of quips and goodbyes, I hit my fingerprint on the scanner and left the office. Excitedly on my way to a weekend.

Manila's traffic is congested every sucking day but Friday's traffic congestion is the worst. My supposedly fifteen minutes travel from work to boarding house can stretch up to two and a half hours. It extremely sucks and energy draining!

"Anong ginagawa nyo dyan?" raised a brow, looking at the nine women gathered on the common area in our boarding house's room.

They looked surprised but greeted simultaneously. "Ate Viera!"

Yeah! I'm the oldest among us. All of them are students at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, which is only a minute walk from the boarding house. The reason why I'm here is that my sister, Eidderf, is currently studying there.

Also, the boarding house is incredibly affordable. One thousand three hundred for a month that comprises a bed, water, and electricity is the best deal in town. Though we are ten people in a room, with five double-deckers, it is pretty much decent space with white painted walls and a window that is giving rays of sunlight every morning.

Pinatong ko lang ang bag sa kama ko, at nakiusyoso na rin sa pinag-uusapan nila. I pulled a seat while waiting for someone to spill the latest gossip.

"Anong meron?"

"Itong si Kayla!" Nancy retorted with her sharp voice as she gave Kayla a sullen look.

And as if on cue, I was drowned by stories that I'm not sure if still related to the latest gossip.

"Kabit kasi ang labas mo niyan. Tanga ka ba? President's Lister ka 'di ba? Bakit bobo ka?" Nancy bawled at Kayla, bulging neck vein. "May asawa at anak tapos ikaw tinatago sa lahat, anong tawag mo dyan?"

I slowly breathe as I observed them quietly. Thinking why they are stressing themselves with those kinds of problems when the only thing they should do is study.

Mga bata pa talaga sila, they thought that they already know everything only to find out that they don't when they get older.

"Mahal ko nga eh!"

"Mahal mo, eh mahal ka ba niyan? May girlfriend tapos may anak nga!" Nancy emphasizes once again.

"Patay na 'yung anak!"

My eyes widened but didn't give any opinion then made eye contact with my sister.

"Bobo! Napakalandi mo, Kayla! Masaya ka bang patay na 'yung anak?"

The debate continues while Violet and I are sharing her fries, enjoying the battle as audience.

I slightly grin as I noticed Violet's shirt color. Surprisingly, it's violet.

"For me as long as Ate Kayla's happy, go for it." Faye calmly pointed out, sitting next to Violet. With her soothing voice, I almost agreed. "Being happy by loving someone is not a sin."

Nancy scowled, looking so disappointed, and rest her case.

"What's your problem again, Kayla?" I asked as they looked at me with disbelief.

Natawa na lang ako. Alam kong nainis sila sa tanong ko. Knowing that I'm already sitting there for quite some time.

"For you to solve your dilemma, the first thing you have to identify is the problem," I explained. "Your real problem."

"Hindi ko lang kasi alam, Ate. Kung mahal niya ba ako o pampalipas oras niya lang ako," she stated. Her voice falling into a serious and stern voice. "Kapag kami lang kasing dalawa sobrang sweet niya pero kapag sa klase, hindi. Bestfriend niya ko sa school kasi ang alam ng lahat ay sila pa rin ng girlfriend niya."

"Sila pa rin naman talaga." sabad ni Nancy.

"Kung ganyan naman pala, iwan mo na." I simply advised. "That's the first solution. Kung hindi mo kaya, sabihin mo sa kanya na makipaghiwalay sa girlfriend niya. Kung hindi naman niya kaya, refer to the first solution."

No answer. She blinked blankly, maybe trying to process every words that I said.

"Gutom na ko," Violet announced loud enough for everyone in the house including our landlady and all her family members to know.

And that's the end of the latest gossip, debate and battle. Kahit alam naming lahat na kumakain pa rin ng fries si Violet ay nagkanya-kanya na kaming kuha ng pera at sabay-sabay lumabas ng boarding house.

Knowing at the back of our mind how stupid women can get just because they are in love.

I let out a long sigh as I promise not to be  like that.