Brooklyn - been forgotten

"To all the girls that think you're fat because you're not a size zero, you're the beautiful one. Its society who's ugly"

- Marilyn Monroe

She watched as her family ate their dinner. From afar you would think of them as a normal family, with two parents and two children. Normal. It's what they aimed for. But if you looked closer you could see the empty chair at their round table. No one would think anything of it, no one but her. She knew she should have been there but its not like anyone really cared.

Brooklyn walked back up the stairs towards her room. This was a normalcy for her. She would get her food from Merideth, their cook, and head to her room to eat her food alone. It was lonely, but it was better than sitting with a family that doesn't accept. A family that would rather forget her, than accept what she was.

But what was she? A girl with no future? A girl who had her past ruined? A girl who has nothing, has nobody?

She was all of this and more. She understood why they didn't want her, why they didn't accept her. Because the truth was she didn't accept herself either. She couldn't.

She closed her bedroom door and went to her desk. She watched her food as she contemplated actually eating it. She finally decided to give it to Harely, the stray dog that lived near her house. He usualy came around as Brooklyn hardly ever decided to eat, and if she did she never ate more than half.

As she went down the stairs to leave her food outside, she heard something that made her already broken heart, brake even more.

"I was finally promoted to cheer captain today. Amy broke her wrist, it was some freak accident with her stairs or something but that doesn't matter. The point is I finally got promoted. It's a good thing anyway; she was starting to give us a bad rep with her whoring around." Paisley flicked her blonde hair off her shoulders as she spoke. Though, no one was really listening, they never did. She went on about how this was so amazing and it was all because a girl broke her wrist.

As Brooklyn continued her task, she couldn't help but think about what her sister was saying. Some years ago, that was her. She was the one with no sympathy and worthless goals.

But something else occured to her. Once, when she still the happy Brooklyn, she went to a party thrown by Amy's brother. And there were no stairs in their house.