The first note...

23rd of January, 1996 – a meeting was in progress at the Northern Police Precinct, Central City, called and chaired by the Chief of the Precinct, Mr. Roy Estefan, to discuss matters of contemporary interests. Technology had started taking control and it was a growing concern that the Police department was being left behind. The technical expert, Dr. Mike Jefferson, a professor of applied Physics specializing in the fields of telecommunications and optics, gave a substantial report followed by a very convincing speech. Mike argued that technology would greatly enhance the efficiency of the department and as an example he talked of Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras, which, once fitted on streets and alleyways, and any public places would let the police department know exactly how a crime was committed. Many examples of its utility were given.

The audience was sat on a long conference table with the Chief on one end and Mike in the opposite corner of the room. In attendance were many police officials – detectives, senior officers and analysts alike.

It soon seemed as if the whole police department was set and ready for these new technological developments. But suddenly, everyone's attention was diverted to the chuckling of detective Alex Maine. A 27 year old prodigy with messed up dark brown hair and a quiet demeanour, Alex had closed more cases in his 5 year old career than most people do in a lifetime. "Seriously?" he said then shook his head.

The Chief, an experienced man of the law, a couple of years short of retirement, asked Alex with a straight face, "You Ok Alex?"

Alex chuckled once more. "Good question," he said. "Got another one?"

The Chief slowly repeated his question. So, Alex took a deep breath and placed the pencil in his hand down. Everyone looked at him in anticipation. His thoughts, annoying as they may be, were thoughts of great intellect and immense brain work, something that the department generally lacked. And for that his colleagues either loved him or absolutely hated him. There were no grey areas with the good detective.

He, however, looked at the Chief and waited. No one said a word. He dropped his head and began addressing the matter. "So, a person enters this room with a knife," he said slowly, "Picks up that apple in front of you, slices it into 15 equal pieces and hands them out to everyone, no big deal, right? But now, that same person enters the room with a knife and stabs someone! O now it's a deal alright. Tell me Mr. Jefferson," he turned to face Mike and continued, "Is the knife good or bad?"

"What are you talking about, detective," asked Mike, puzzled as everyone.

"Tell me Dr. Jefferson, who will be using the said technology?"

"Your police department," replied Mike.

"When the users are the same, the use will be the same."

"What, well what do you mean? What do you suggest we should do?"

"Do whatever you like," exclaimed Alex. "Just don't lie. And above all else, do not ever lie to yourself. Don't say that this will make the world a better place to live. When the idea of a police force first popped up, everyone wanted to have one in their own city because that would have made the world a peaceful place to live. Are the police doing that? I mean, if they were then why would we be needing you or your cameras?"

"We need them because times have changed," said the chief interrupting Alex.

The detective turned his head towards Roy saying, "Keep telling yourself that..." then looked away.

Henceforth, a debate started regarding the effectiveness of the new technology, while the detective remained quiet. After a while, a senior police officer, a friend and admirer of Alex and his work, Fred Conan, asked him, "What do you think, Alex, is this knife good or bad? And how so?"