07

"PARK SUNGHOON, I HATE YOU!"

Those words pierced through Sunghoon's heart as he walked away from the girl who was his so-called "best friend". Fuming with anger, he tried to hold back the tears lining in his eyes. But out of everything that happened, he instantly regretted the harsh words he said to Chaerim. He fell onto the ground, leaning against the wall.

"S-sorry, Jay," Sunghoon said. He could hear his voice breaking, "I didn't mean to cause a scene."

"No... it's fine. Really. It was your personal business. I probably should've walked away when I had the chance," he awkwardly laughed.

Sunghoon gave him a weak smile as he rested his head on the wall, "W-what am I going to do now?" questioned breathlessly. Soon tears began to drip down his cheeks, "I'm such an idiot? How is she going to forgive me after what happened?"

That's when the door opened.

"Hey, guys, what was all that commotion. I thought I heard shouting and people fighting," a voice said.

"Oh Heeseung hyung," Jay exclaimed.

Heeseung turned his head over and saw Sunghoon covering his face with his hand, "Sunghoon?" he asked, "What- are you okay?"

He didn't respond but instead tried to muffle his cries with his hands. "Hyung," he sobbed in agony, "what am I going to do now?"

**

7:15 pm

"YAH PARK CHAERIM," Coach Ji exclaimed angrily, "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?"

Chaerim ignored her, looking at the ground. She continued to walk to the bleachers til she felt a hand grab her arm.

"Park Chaerim, why are you ignoring me? Do you realize how much time you just wasted?" her coach snapped.

Chaerim looked up at her with her puffy red eyes, sniffling.

"Wha- What happened? Why are you crying? Are you okay?" The tone of Coach Ji's voice completely changed as soon as she saw the agony on Chaerim's face. "Take a seat and rest. You can say anything you need to later."

**

1 week later...

Even after 7 days went by, Chaerim nor Sunghoon said a word to each other. Instead, they ignored each other, not even exchanging glances at another. Small rumors buzzed around the school, questioning what happened to their friendship. Chaerim seemed to be more miserable as the days went by. She talked less, her grades began to slip, and was not her usual peppy self.

"Chaerim, what's going on between you and Sunghoon? You've been so quiet these days and you don't even look at him anymore," Taeri asked with concern.

"It's nothing," she mumbled as she rested her head against her arms.

"Are you sure? You seem... sadder," Mina insisted.

"I told you, it's nothing," she snapped coldly.

But it wasn't nothing. Her heart ached and she was in so much pain.

Taken aback by Chaerim's cold response, Mina and Taeri looked at each other in confusion.

"I'm sorry," Chaerim exclaimed with a slight tone of irritation, "I'm going to go get some air."

As the school day went on, more rumors spread about how much Chaerim had changed and how she snapped at her friends. She tried to ignore the whispers and comments whenever she passed students and hoped the school day would end soon. All she wanted to do was get over with another day of school and most of all, ice skating practice.

**

Ice skating practice...

Coach Ji observed how both Chaerim and Sunghoon interacted with each other as well as performed their choreographies. Never in her life has she seen Sunghoon and Chaerim at their worst. Their jumps were inconsistent, either not making enough rotations or not landing the jump, they kept forgetting their choreographies, and worst of all the tension between the two was awkward as hell.

"You guys, come over here," Coach Ji sighed with exasperation. The two skated towards the bleachers from where Coach Ji was spectating and stood far away from each other. "I don't know what happened between you, but this attitude from you guys is unacceptable. I know it's only been a week and a few days since you heard the news of competing in the ISU CS Inge Solar Memorial Alpen Trophy, but your choreography looks like a mess. The both of you. Chaerim, you said you were working on your triple axel, but why do you keep messing it up? You had it almost perfect last week. Sunghoon, why can't you land your triple jumps? You constantly keep slipping and falling. You guys can't keep making rookie mistakes. For crying out loud, you guys are ranked so high for your age group and are in the senior category. Stop thinking about whatever happened and get your mind straight."

Both of them looked down at the ice without saying a word.

"This training schedule isn't going to work," Coach Ji sighed once more, "I've noticed practice hasn't been going well so I decided to change up the training schedule again. You'll come from 5 am to 7:30 am, 4 pm to 6:45 pm, and then 8 pm to 11 pm. Understood? And Sunghoon, I'll make an exception for your other activity so at your 4 pm to 6:45 pm practice, I'll let you leave at 5 pm."

Sunghoon nodded as an awkward silence filled the room.

"Oh my gosh, you guys are killing me. Say something would you?" she groaned, "Ugh nevermind that, Sunghoon do 20 jumps, 7 double jumps, and 10 triple jumps. Chaerim do 25 jumps, 10 double jumps, and 12 triple jumps. If you mess up, start over again. Do it until it's perfect."

They both sighed with a tone of irritation as Chaerim and Sunghoon both parted ways and began practicing their jumps.

"I swear these kids... I thought they were weird, but they just got weirder," Coach Ji thought while rubbing the temples on her head.

Jump after jump, Sunghoon kept slipping up barely landing his double and triple jumps. Chaerim was just not capable of making enough rotations for her triple jumps. On her 15th attempt of performing a triple jump, she had finally reached her limit, collapsing on the ice roughly smashing her elbow.

"Aish," Chaerim gritted through her teeth. As she weakly pushed herself up from the ground, she noticed droplets of red liquid decorating the ice.

"I'm... I'm bleeding?"

"YAH PARK CHAERIM," Coach Ji hollered, "stop staring at the ground and practice your jumps again."

Chaerim got up, staggering to get to her coach, holding onto her right elbow. She suddenly felt a burn in her left knee, noticing there was a hole in her leggings and was covered with blood.

"Chaerim-ah, you're bleeding?" she asked with concern, "Come over here."

She followed the directions from her coach, making her way towards the exit of the rink. Coach Ji led her to a seat by the bleachers and got out the first aid kit.

"Chaerim, what's happening? Are you in a slump? You haven't been in one since your dad passed away? What's wrong? Why can't you land the jumps like you used to? Sunghoon too. Did something happen between you guys?"

She let out a deep sigh and stared at her ice skates.

"Please, Chaerim," Coach Ji begged, "You guys aren't even going to pass the first round if you keep messing up like this."

"I... I can't tell you."

----------------------------------------------

a/n: woooooo long chapter lol hope you enjoyed !