Prologue

The small, frail girl ran through the tall trees of the wood, not daring to glance back. The beast had grown stronger and the wicked was getting unbearably powerful. The girl panted and she could feel her heart thumping, no, pounding in her chest. It pounded as though it wanted to be let loose from its prison. 'That's rude,' the girl thought. She wanted to be let loose too. She didn't want this. She wanted freedom but the anger within the darkness behind her was holding her captive, disabling her ability to escape its grasp. She cried out as it engulfed her whole, her prayers not working. She begged for mercy but the darkness didn't listen to her agony. Instead, it held her tighter.

How did this happen? How did she let the darkness win? Maybe because she was too weak to stop it. Or maybe she wanted this. She wanted to be taken and never be seen again. That was her perfect crime. Though she wanted this, she didn't at the same time. She didn't know it would be this scary and painful.

Her depression was a flame waiting to be set to wood, a nail waiting to be set to stone. It grabbed and pulled at the shrieking girl. Now that it finally had her, it would never let her go.

Silly girl. It was all her fault. She didn't have to listen and give in. She let the evil manipulate her to fit its twisted needs. She wanted to leave and the darkness promised to grant her wishes. She soon realized it was a mistake. A trap. Had she not been so caught up in her head, she could have prevented this. She thought death was the way out. It made sense though.

Dark thoughts caved in a malleable mind are often just an illusion.