HE WAS WOKEN up with the unfamiliar chains digging down his flesh on his wrist and the brush of thin air against his skin through his pored shirt. Barely even awake, and his eyes hardly wide open, he was quick to spot a glance of a man with blonde hair, gelled and combed, and a bright, yellow vest that pierced through his adjusting vision.

" Finally awake?" Yamori flashed a grin, " Isn't my room nice? Tatara-san said he had no use for you, so I went ahead and claimed you for myself. I couldn't be happier. I've been dying to have you as a company...right from the moment, we met."

The crazed man cracked his fingers, the sound of joints fissuring and knuckles popping reverberating in the tense silence. It was loud enough for Kaneki's breath to hitch, and it served as a warning for something he truly did not know, " No. Since before we even met. So please, try not to disappoint me."

The black-haired male, akin to a helpless worm, wriggled and wriggled in desperation to elude the impossible, but despite everything–from his fear to determination–it was like fate was against him; he had no way out.

" RC inhibition fluid. When it enters a ghoul's body, all kagune activity is suppressed. As soon as that happens, their body becomes vulnerable and my scalpel can slice through them with ease. Almost as if... they were a mere human," Yamori exclaimed, his fingers gently tracing the contours of the injection as he took small steps towards the inert male, "While ghouls are immune to hypodermic needles, for the most part, there is one place a needle will pass through. And that...is the mucosa!"

The pungent scent of blood and gore hung heavily in the air of the chamber, accompanied by distant screams of agony

The pungent scent of blood and gore hung heavily in the air of the chamber, accompanied by distant screams of agony. Yet, Yamori had just grown more fond of the entire enmeshed situation he clearly knew was his. It was the echoes of suffering and the metallic tang of Kaneki's blood, splattered in a morbid patchwork across the floor alone within that chamber–nothing more, nothing less.

" Where are you in the count now?" Yamori placed the tools on the tray.

" 559...552..."

" I'll be back after they regrow."

" 545..." Kaneki was nothing but a mere disembodied soul since the moment he was ordered to count numbers. Drifting lifelessly through the counts and relinquishing control over his once-sane mindset was a notion he had never seen coming, but it was definitely a state he yearned to take back.

" Clean that mess up," Yamori huskily spoke at one of the members, who stood there with a scarlet cloak, simply nodding at his words.

" Yes, sir."

Time was his greatest nemesis; it was said to be a treasure, something that was valued, but it destroyed him and everything he had left.