Answers

I thought about it way too often. It consumed my brain. I couldn't stop. I tried. So many times, but it was useless. I had to get to the bottom of this.

"Andrew, we need to talk," I go completely serious. His eyebrows raise. He's shocked to see me like this. So am I, if I'm being honest.

"Okay, Honey. What's going on?" he's already guarded. Bad idea for me.

"You left me with your phone the other day and someone texted you." He swallows slightly. Trying to play it off, he asks,

"Who was it?"

"Your ex," I don't miss a beat.

He fully gulps now. He walks towards me, arms open, trying to hold me. I push them back. His face drops slightly before he continues making up excuses.

"It's nothing. She didn't want anything. It was weird." He's not looking me directly in the eyes. I can feel the spiral start to go off through my head.

"Stop." I tell myself and him. "Don't give me what I want to be true. I want the truth. I need answers."

"You need answers?" he almost mocks me back.

"Yes, Andrew. I want answers. I want answers about why you even still have her number. Why there was a full conversation from a week before. Why you immediately tried to comfort me if there's nothing going on. And why you haven't looked me in the eyes since I said something. I need ANSWERS! And don't you dare lie to my face again." I end yelling, all the pain and emotions I've been holding in flooding through my mouth, not being able to stop it.

He stands there, dumbfounded. I don't think he's going to answer me. Until... his eyes give me all the answers I need.

Regret. Written all over his face and rooted deeply in his eyes. Regret.

"Andrew..." I stop myself, feeling the tears pool. He hasn't said anything. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

"It happened last year. It hasn't happened since. I don't know why she texted me. She knew it was over over between the two of us. I told her it was you. It was always you."

"I couldn't have always been yours because then it never would have happened to begin with. It wasn't always me," I'm done for. The tears are streaming down my face. I can't hold anything in. I thought he was the one.

"Honey- please don't do this," he reaches out to me.

"You should've thought about that before you did it." I turn around, walking out of the life I thought I would always be in.

______________

I breathe in-hard. The scene overwhelming me. I knew I tripped on the chair, but I think I already knew who the arms that had caught me belonged to.

He laughs, the now young, happy face having replaced the one of regret just moments before. 

"I think you just fell for me," he smiles easily, unaware of what I now know with that simple touch, and places me on my own two feet.

"I'm Andrew. It's nice to meet you."

I look at the hand outstretched in front of me, knowing if I take it, it will lead me on a path of pain I may never recover from.

"Thanks for catching me." I nod, turning around and walking away.

I control this decision. I choose happiness.