My Eyes

"And there's a hardcore skater dude that just... oh yeah he wiped out- hard," Joshua laughs, me joining him as I picture it in my mind.

I was born blind, there was nothing I could do about it, but when I met Joshua, it was the first time my blindness didn't feel like a chore someone had to deal with. He describes everything to me. He wasn't very good towards the beginning, but slowly got better and better. He's even going to college for English and creative writing so he can be the best.

I truly don't deserve him, plus he always sounds excited when I ask him to describe things to me. My favorite is when he describes different people. It's how I get introduced to someone or get to know them. Through Joshua's eyes- my eyes.

"Do someone else again!" I reach out to where I know he always is- beside me- and squeeze his arm.

"Okay...okay. Just for you," I can hear the teasing in his voice, making me smile. "To start, she has blond, curly hair, a perfect height- not too tall, not too short- and she's rather fit."

He always starts with a short physical description, so I can start picturing them in my head. But then he gets to my favorite part.

"Whenever she laughs, she throws her head back like everything in the world is good. When she smiles, my entire mood is lifted, and I can't help but join in her joy. When she thinks something is kind of stupid, she scrunches her nose up and furrows her eyebrows as if no one can see it. When she gets excited about something, her entire demeanor changes. She walks like she's floating on clouds and she talks freely, without fear of rejection or cruelty." I want to stop him. I may not be able to see, but the more he gets lost in his words, the more I know who he's talking about.

"Joshua... I told you never to try to do me," I want to cry. His passion about this specific description clear, overwhelming me.

"But you're the easiest one!" I know he's staring right at me. I start to open up my mouth to protest this, but he doesn't allow me. "She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She makes me better every minute I'm with her. She cares deeply about every person I describe. She wants to know every individual person's story. She wants them to feel known, loved, cared for, and most importantly, that they can do anything they set their mind to," he says all of this in a rush, not allowing me any time to interrupt or argue.

"But she doesn't believe she will ever truly be happy..." I'm shocked. My heart sinks slightly. He's not supposed to know that secret. How did he figure that out?

"Joshua, you need to stop," all my breakdowns throughout high school flooding back to me. Knowing I would never be able to move out on my own, to drive myself anywhere, to find someone I was... physically attracted to.

"No, I can't stop, Melissa. Because if you only knew the moment I met you, I fell in love with you and every time I see you doubt who you are or who you can become, it crushes me. It breaks my heart. I love you, Melissa and no matter what you say, you can not make me stop loving you. So, here I am, asking you to do the one thing I have wanted for so many years, and marry me?" His admission takes my breath away.

I go back in my head to his countless hours with me, helping me through homework, or talking me through my breakdowns. He's been with me through everything. I know, deep down, he's never once regretted being my friend. I know he'll continue to stick with me. Because thinking about my life without him... it's too much to try to bear.

I love him. I always have.

And with my admission that I've always known deep down, I speak the answer I've always been terrified of:

"Yes!"