Chapter 3

The following morning, Elizabeth shot Chloe a quick text asking to meet for lunch.

Chloe could apparently tell the urgency in it, as she almost immediately texted back agreeing, and suggesting Elizabeth's favorite less well known café where they could hide in a booth in the back and it be less likely for anyone to pay any attention to them or overhear them. So at fifteen minutes before they were to meet, Elizabeth left her apartment to drive over to the out-of-the-way café.

"Hi, Lil!" greeted the younger girl chiperly as soon as she saw her. "Your text sounded urgent — what's up?"

"Hi, Chloe!" replied Elizabeth brightly walking over to give her a hug, where she added in a lower tone, "And nothing I'm saying out here."

So Chloe nodded, and led them inside.

Once they had their food and were safely nestled away in the back of the café, she finally asked, "So what's going on?"

"I just found out that Iain likes me."

"As in — ?" gasped Chloe.

Elizabeth nodded resignedly. "Yeah. I need help."

"Aren't you engaged!?" exclaimed Chloe in a harsh whisper.

"Yes! I am! That's why I said I need help!" exclaimed Elizabeth a little more loudly than she had intended, quickly looking around to make sure no one had started looking at them. Once she was sure they were still safe, she said more quietly, "Sorry — I'm just a bit on edge. I really don't know what to do."

Chloe looked back at her shrewdly for several seconds, before slowly saying, "But you're considering doing anything at all.... Does that mean—? That you like Iain back?"

Elizabeth nodded her head sadly. "Have for a long time. I just never thought he was interested in me."

"Not interested in you?! Have you seen the way he acts around you?" exclaimed Chloe. "He's been head over heels for you for years, and I'm not talking about Fitz and Simmons here."

"What?! No! He said he just realized it over the break, when I told him I was engaged!" exclaimed Simmons.

"He may have just realized it, but he's been making heart eyes at you since you met," replied Chloe, before adding a few seconds later, "Also, you do realize that I'm not in the least bit impartial or a good person to ask for advice about this, right?"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "Yes, Chloe, I am more than aware. I just needed someone to talk to, and I knew you wouldn't be judgmental or scold me for even considering breaking up with my fiancé."

Chloe chuckled lightly. "Well, that I can be. But do remember that I've always wanted to see you and Iain together, so don't ask my opinion of what you should do if you want an unbiased answer."

They continued to talk for the next several hours, eventually moving to Chloe's apartment when they couldn't justify holding up a booth in the café any longer. Chloe poured them each a glass of wine and they sat on her couch, Chloe pulling everything out of Elizabeth that she could.

Eventually, Chloe came to her own conclusion about how everything was going to play out eventually if nothing unexpected happened, and so said bluntly, "You already know who you're going to pick, don't you? You're just trying to pretend you still have a choice in the matter and didn't pick years ago who you'd pick if you ever got the chance."

"What?! No! That's not—! You're making me sound like Simmons! And I am not Simmons!" exclaimed Elizabeth, practically stumbling over her words in her haste to get them out.