Chapter 12

Ten years later, the cast of Agents of Shield were all gathering at Iain and Elizabeth's Perthshire cottage for a long overdue reunion.

The show had ended for real several years before, and this was the first time they'd all managed to be in the same place together since then. They'd all seen each other off and on over those years, but they'd never managed to successfully arrange a complete reunion with everyone until now.

As Chloe walked up the drive to the front door, she thought Iain and Elizabeth had been just a little misleading in calling their house a 'cottage', though she did suppose it was smaller than the numerous castles she'd driven past on her way there. Opening the front door, she greeted several of her former costars who were milling about just inside, before finally spotting Elizabeth in the kitchen/dining room area setting out drinks.

"Looks like you and Iain have a nice life going here," she greeted as she walked up. "Glad things worked out so well."

"Forcing Iain to admit what was bothering him was the best decision I ever made," answered Elizabeth with a bright smile as she hugged the younger woman tightly, before quickly adding, "Along with actually choosing him, of course. But how are you since we last talked, like a week ago?"

Elizabeth and Chloe chatted and caught up with each other, until Chloe eventually asked, "And how are the kids?"

"They're great," replied Elizabeth. "And currently out running around in the backyard while Iain's grilling. Clark's out there, too, helping him — with the grill, that is, probably not so much with the kids. They're probably still running around uncontrollably like they have been all day. I made them go outside with Iain when he went out to start cooking because they were tearing up the house so much. They will be really happy to see their Aunt Chloe again, though."

"And speaking of the hubby...."

"Same old Iain — couldn't ask for a better husband or father to our kids," said Elizabeth with a soft smile.

"I knew you'd make the right decision."

At that moment, they were interrupted by the sound of high-pitched squealing from the direction of the patio doors leading out into the backyard, followed by a blur and kids suddenly crashing into Chloe's legs, hugging her tightly. Chloe immediately knelt down to their level to hug them, not having seen them in far too long.

"Hey, love," greeted Iain as he walked up in their kids' wake, bending down to give Elizabeth a quick peck on the lips.

When Chloe had stood back up after saying hi to the kids, Iain gave her a hug as he said, "Hi, Chloe. Good to see you again." Nodding down at the kids, he added, "And they've been rather excited to see you again, too."

"Surely not," teased Chloe, ruffling the kids' hair as she looked down at them fondly. "Never would have guessed." Addressing the kids directly, she said, "How about you show Aunt Chloe the backyard, before mummy and daddy kick all of us out of the house?"

As the kids drug her towards the patio doors and outside, Chloe threw over her shoulder at Elizabeth, "Good to catch up with you again, Lil!"

Once they'd disappeared into the backyard, Elizabeth turned and hugged Iain around the waist, resting her cheek against his chest.

Iain rested his chin lightly on the top of her head hugging her back, before after a while asking, "Care to tell me what's going through that brilliant mind of yours?"

Elizabeth gave a light sigh.

"I've been thinking all afternoon how happy I am that all our friends are finally all back together again, and then talking with Chloe reminded me of how all of this was possible in the first place — how you and I became possible."

She leaned back slightly so she could look up at him.

"I love you."

Iain dipped his head down to give her a long, slow kiss, before pulling back just enough to look her in the eyes.

"I love you, too, Lil."