Sunshine does not cry

She was sitting on her usual bench, under the same tree, 7:00 in the morning, and holding her purple notebook covered with all those sparkly stickers. The wind blows her straight, jet black hair away, causing her shiny purple eyes to water. She gets her rainbow handkerchief from her tiny, blue bag and gently wipes her tears away. Yet, her expression doesn't change. Her shoes are still untied, but that gentle and kind smile never goes away. It's always a mystery, what she's thinking about. With that blissful look on her face while biting her lip, she seems she has no troubles.

This was what I thought eight years ago.

(School bell rings)

"Good morning sleepy head!"

"Classes are over Alec. Wake up!"

"Ugh... What?"

(Yawn) I guess I fell asleep. My head hurts and I want to puke. What's wrong with me? I usually don't sleep during classes. I mean, I'm not the kind of person who gets the best grades in class, but, this really isn't like me.

"Are you alright dude? You don't look so good."

There's no need to explain, really. It's obvious I didn't get much sleep last night, but my classmates don't really get why that is. I know that this is the first time I ever slept in class, but this is such a big deal for them. They think I'm a robot who has a schedule of what time to wake up in the morning, and when to sleep at night. But not that night.

"Hey Alec, there's a girl looking for you!"

"Not again. Why do all the girls look for you? They have me. The super cool, JJ."

"You mean, Jean Johnson?"

"Shut up Cameron!"

"He's just born with that face, Jean. Don't mind us Alec. That girl, what's her name? She's waiting."

Those guys are exaggerating. I'm not that good looking, but I do look better than JJ. Never mind. This may be another girly girl again. I just hope it's not...

"Ummm....He..llo.."

...her.

No. Not her. She's always following me. I dare not to talk to her, or even go near her. Not after what happened last night. I just want you to leave me alone.

"I....I... (tearing up) Can I walk home with you? "

"I have soccer practice, I can't walk you home."

"Oh.... Then, then...I'll wait for you."

Why does she have to be so annoying? It's like she can't live without me. Always following me, trips, and then cries. She's been like that ever since we were kids. A crybaby. The crybaby girl I saw sitting at her bench and writing in her purple notebook. The girl who has never changed. Zeyn. I barely talked to her before. I mean, she had a lot of friends, and somehow I disliked her a bit. Not until that time I saw her all alone. She was crying. Her tears fell into those pinkish pages in her notebook. That was the first time I have ever seen her cry. To me, she was always that little girl, grinning like crazy, sitting on her favorite bench at the park. What was I thinking that day? I should've not done that. I should have left her alone. I should have not said a word. But, that wasn't the case.

I was so stupid. I wasn't thinking right. I felt so sorry for her that I just went up to her, patted her head and said,

"Don't cry."

Ever since that phrase. Those two little words, and that pat on her head changed the whole "schedule" of my life. After that, she kept on following me wherever I go. She sits beside me wherever I sit, she grabs my coat whenever I ran, and she liked every person whomever I liked. I guess I really am a robot, as what my classmates say. I'm Alec Silvers, 15 years old, boring, numb, and too, inhuman.