The One That Got Away

I graduated early, met you that summer after high school. You had a 1969 navy blue mustang, we were inseparable, especially when you took me out to the beach in your car. Your parents had a beach house which they always kept equipped with everything.

We were in the clouds, everyone knew it and I didn't mind, because I had you. You love to draw at the time and when I turned 18 you drew me this beautiful heart shape lock with such detail, with such love. You said "Now that you have your lock and I have the key to it". You pulled out another drawing with a key with a similar design to the lock. "Let's go get them tattooed so the world knows I have the key to your heart".

I of course said yes, I never plan to lose you.

It was the best summer of my life, I had you and wanted nothing more. At the end of the year your parents died in a car crash. I didn't know much about them, you rarely spoke about them. It was a taboo subject to speak of our parents. My parents were alcoholics and were oblivious to their surroundings, including me. Your parents always worked but I never imagined they were so well off in life. You had the perfect parents I mention at their funeral and you shut down.

They left you everything "but love." You cried into my arms one day and then I understood the need of love you had at the time, so I gave you everything I could.

"You loved me without knowing about my wealth, it's something I always wanted. People took advantage of me because of my name and what it would inherit to me one day, but you didn't and never will. Because I know you love me for who I am. Will you be my wife?" You asked that night and I gave you an answer and love.

Present 2015

"I'll be back in time for dinner". I said as I head to the front door, you as always said nothing. I wonder why I married you but a voice reminds me. "Mom, can I come?" Alex ask and she knows I can never say no to her big green eyes. I nodded yes, she grabbed her shoes and I left without looking back, I already knew you didn't care what I did or what my daughter did as well, you were just lost in this stupid company.

I drove the 1969 mustang, Alex loves this car and I plan to give it to her when she gets her license. I also plan to tell her everything today, Alex needs to know the truth about everything.

I stopped at the flower shop and got you the white roses we both love. "Mommy can I take the flowers for Robert? Please!" I giggled at her excitement, "of course love."

She knew where we were going.

I parked at the bottom of the hill. Alex got out of the front seat, yes, she wasn't a baby anymore but she was still ours I think to myself. She held my hand and I thank her for that, I always needed some kind of support and just this simple gesture coming from her was more than enough.

"Mommy can you tell me the story again of how Robert took care of you". She asked as she let go of my hand to arrange the fresh flowers we brought into the imbedded vase that is located next to his plaque. She whispered something at him which I didn't quite hear but I know it's time, she needs to know what happen to us, and who you are.

When she finished, I signaled her to sit next to me on the grass. "Beautiful clouds." I point to the sky. "Mom don't forget about the story."

"I haven't. I promise you that." I said averting my gaze at her. "Honey you know the story I always tell you about Robert?" She nodded yes. "Well today I'm going to tell you the whole thing, no more secrets."

"Finally Mom. I was starting to believe you were never going to tell me the complete story of you and Robert." She said as she laid back.

"Why do you have to so damn observant and smart." I mutter.