02. MCKAY'S PARTY

• ❀ •

.• ❀ •.

My skateboard sunk into the branches and leaves after I tossed it into a bush beside McKay's house. I crashed onto the ground a bit harder than I had expected. I hoped that it was broken but I needed a new way anyway, so I didn't worry about it too much. I didn't feel like carrying it around the whole party, but I didn't really have anywhere else to put it. Last time I showed up to a party with my board, I left it beside the door, where someone drunkenly stole it. I hate thieves sometimes. I figured that no one would think to look in a bush though. Even if they would, I was too high right now to come up with any other hiding place.

I squeezed through a couple making out in the middle of the front door as I walked into McKay's house. The two didn't bother to even notice me as they went right back to locking lips.

Music blared out of speakers that were placed throughout each room. The bass made the entire house shake. I grabbed onto the arms of random people to balance myself as I stumbled around McKay's house. I was going to keep walking around until I bumped into someone I knew. I wasn't exactly sure why I even came to the party, since I was only going for Reina and her drugs. I knew she'd be around her somewhere, probably selling to some poor freshman. They were so young and naive, easy targets and customers.

I found myself wandering through the center of the living room, where many people were dancing and swaying to the deafening music. Everyone was surrounded around me, while I was being pushed into others. I felt like I was a punching bag being hit repeatedly, until I finally fell out of the sea of drunken teenagers.

"Hey Mar."

I glanced up to Maddie with a small smile on her face. She was sitting on Tyler's lap. Her arms were draped around his neck in a flirtatious manner.

We knew each other because our parents were good friends. Every time they would get together, Maddie and I were always forced to come along. It didn't take long before the two of us became friends though, and even after our parents grew apart from regular life reasons, Maddie and I still remained friends. The two of us would occasionally get high, along with the addition of Reina, but she didn't like to take drugs too often. Maddie was big on health and her physical appearance, while I didn't mind the effects as long as I found a way to escape the real world. Maddie and I were able to find a common ground through fashion and the two of us being Latina. We might not be the closest of friends, but we were always there for each other when the other one needed someone to lean on.

"Oh, hi Maddie," I replied. My voice had that faraway sounding effect again, but I was almost sure that it was because the music was just so loud. I felt like I had sobered up a bit since being at Reina's house, but I was still too high for this shit right now. "Is your sister here?" I asked Tyler. I found it kind of strange for him to be at a high school partying, but I didn't judge him too much for it. A party's a party.