The Abduction

It was as dark as a blind eye, and perhaps that was why I chose such a night. These petty souls always scattering, so tempting, just out of reach. They’re flies, buzzing and buzzing around me, and yet, as soon as I think I can smash one, it darts, gone in a blink. But this darkness was blind. So yes, that is why I chose tonight. These flies, ever so careful, ever so alert, would never see me coming on the night of no shadow, no light. Just black. Pure. Undisturbed.

    The only souls out here with me are the brave or the stupid. The reckless, mindless child who is content to bike home from a friend's house. Or perhaps the woman who just finished working overtime at her office job, waiting for a bus to pick her up. So many options, and my eyes are much better than theirs. Maybe this one. Quite a small woman. I watch her figure, body turning, no caution in peering from street to street. Her heels land hard on the pavement, the stilettos reverberating with a click, click, loud enough to be heard from a block in either direction. But her heels aren't the only thing carrying weight. Those eyes are vacant and focused. Animosity bleeds, oozes from her blank expression, leaking out from every orifice, trying so hard to keep the tension in. Dyed strawberry blonde envelops her down to the waist, hands brushing through it deliberately, trying her best to make the disheveled mess look presentable. She is frustrated. Tired. I can see her check her phone, a sigh hanging on her lips being her only reaction. The screen lights her face… features entrapped in a light blue haze, nose and eyes reflecting only the most prominent light. The screen turns off and we are once again in darkness. Ah, but I can still see her pathetic little soul.

    For a short moment, I feel a semblance of pity for the girl. Nothing but a moment. Only a moment to think of how she must have had such troublesome a day, impatience and stress etched into her skin like a tattoo. Or how she is  relieved to be out of work, to go home to her family... family… but no longer shall it be.

    This is the one. My gaze focuses on her path, in the direction she travels. In the shadows I creep, beneath the trees. She takes meaningful strides, never stopping, never hesitant. I can see her, but she can’t see me… I am the darkness tonight. And she is but a mouse, a single meal for the wildest of beasts, the most keen of predators.

 I pounce.