Chapter 6

Jan was up early the following morning for his makeover and shopping excursion. Dressed in a simple shirtdress and flats, he joined the remaining girls for breakfast. Gloria was regaling them about her dinner date with Jason the night before.

"He was so wonderful! We had champagne and caviar, and then some kind of fish soup before the main course. It was delicious! He is so sophisticated," she rambled on, as the other girls hung on every word. All except Becca, who rolled her eyes and sat down next to Jan at an adjoining table.

"One down, five to go," Becca said. "No way Jason's going to want to spend another minute with that airhead."

"You're wicked," Jan said as he munched on his English muffin. "Still think I should blow it tonight?"

"As I matter of fact, I've reconsidered my entire strategy. I'm not afraid of you now, in fact I want you to make it into the final three. Let Jason get the shock of his life when he tries to hit on you during your overnight getaway."

"Where are you going to take him? If you make it into the final three, I mean," Jan asked her.

"Vegas, baby! How about you?"

"It's a big problem."

"Hey, I know, how about San Francisco? You could have a nice dinner on Castro Street, take in a drag show, then lure him back to your hotel after you've softened him up."

"That's real nice, Becca, but you know what? You've just given me an idea on how to solve my other problem."

"What other problem?"

"Taking him home to Mom and Dad."

"Don't worry, sweetheart, you're not gonna get that far."

Jan caught a wave from Andrea Messenger, who was pointing at her watch to signal that it was time to leave for his escapade in Beverly Hills. "I'm off to get beautiful," he told Becca as he picked up his purse. "Don't count me out just yet."