prologue

"Every day for the past four years I've been thinking about the promise I made. To love you. To always be there for you. You need to know that I meant everything I said that night. It's not possible for me to let this end here- I will keep fighting for you no matter how long it takes or how many mistakes we make. I know for a fact that even if whatever greater power there is wants us apart, I will defy it just for you. You see yourself as nothing special- just a regular twenty-four year old woman with a somewhat unpredictable path ahead of her. I want you to know that you're the exact opposite to me. You're the sun to my moon- we're polar opposites but when we're together everything is golden. I would do anything for you, Aly. I could die and the only thing I would come back to life for would be you."

I swallowed as I looked at the brown-eyed man standing in front of me, a little out of breath from saying so much. He looked so intense as he stared at me, waiting for an answer.

James Wilson.

I have loved this man for so long, longer than he's probably aware of. The words that usually came to me so quickly to give him an answer would not leave my mouth, so we just stood under the stairs of an office building and looked at each other, waiting for something to happen.

"You were gone for three months," I say, breaking the silence, "You never bothered to leave a note that you were leaving, and didn't even think to call me while you were gone." My voice wavered bit, tempting me to lose my composure and run into James' arms like everything was okay, but I stood my ground. "Do you understand how worried I was? How scared? I thought that you had ran away with some girl."

James Wilson.

The man I love.

The man I let go.