11 / The Foundations of Friendship

We walk along the pavement, carefully maneuvering through the crowds and past the individual pedestrians. It takes fifteen minutes, but we're able to reach the Eye. It looks so huge up close, and I recall something the Doctor told me about plastic replicas being controlled from right under where we're standing. Then again, half of the world's inventions have been alien cover-ups with him.

"So, are you getting on?"

I look at him as he stares up at individual pods, almost as if he's investigating something.

"Not yet. I'm waiting for her to get here."

Suddenly we can hear a loud honking come from behind. We both turn and to my pleasant surprise, she's shown up fifteen minutes early. She gets out, paying the driver clumsily, and we smile at each other.

"Oh look, fifteen minute cab rides. I guess London really does have everything."

"Hah, you're one to talk. America is what, 1300 years younger than we are?"

"Well, we get Kingdom Hearts before you do, so hah."

She rolls her eyes at that last remark and we both laugh before hugging. This is the first time we've actually met in person and I can't help enjoying the moment just a bit more than I should. When we let go, she looks over at the Doctor and he begins to speak.

"Oh, how rude of me. I'm her uncle, Mr Smith."

He puts his hand out and she shakes it hesitantly. Once they're finished she whispers to me.

"Cat, your last name isn't Smith. You didn't just pick him up off the street 'cause you fancied him, did you?"

"Ugh, Katie!"

I yell a bit too loudly but she fully understands why. She giggles a bit and I can't help wondering what the Doctor thinks of all this.

"Well, you make it too easy."

"And you make it too annoying."

She stops and regains her composure.

"Alright, alright. You said you were going to explain everything?"

"Yeah, but not after that little stunt."

She sighs and I glance at the Doctor. He looks like he's happy, but I can tell he's deep in thought over something.

"Didn't you say something about riding the eye?"

Her question pulls me back and I regain my bearings before replying.

"Oh yeah. Let's do it."

"But you know, I figured you'd want to ride something longer..."

"Katie, stop it."

I pout and we both burst into a goofy sort of laughter. Before we get in line though, I remember that the Doctor is just standing there.

"Oi. You coming?"

He looks up, almost as if he's been pulled out of a dream."

"Huh? Oh, no. You two go ahead."

"Alright. Just cheer up though, would you?"

"Yeah, don't worry."

He cracks a smile, though it doesn't seem entirely genuine, and I feel just a bit of remorse as we turn back towards the landmark. As we walk into the pod with a whole cluster of people, I feel a bit unnerved. There's not really a reason for the feeling, but it's sitting there in the back of my mind. It's just like something bad is about to happen.

"Why are we being so quiet?"

I look up at her and smirk.

"Because this is how all of our conversations end up."

"Heh, true enough."

In the ten minutes that we're inside, I take in the sights and we ramble on for a bit about, well, everything. As we walk out, I see that he's smiling and waiting for us by a streetlight.

"Have fun?"

"Yeah, though I think I could hear you two from down here."

I roll my eyes and we all begin to walk away.

"So Nub, know any other good places?"

"Well, maybe we could head over to my house where you'll tell me everything."

"Hah, fat chance with the way you've been acting."

"What about your uncle then? Don't you think he'd want to head somewhere for himself?"

He chimes in in the nick of time.

"No, I really don't have a preference. So long as you two are happy, I'm perfectly... fine."

He slows his pace until stopping altogether as we pass an alley; it's clear he suspects something. He licks his finger and puts it up as if checking for wind and walks in. We both head towards the opening and I call out for him.

"Uncle? Hey, what're you doing?"

No reply. I start to grow suspicious and begin to walk inside.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I turn towards her and smile.

"I have no idea."

Then I run as fast as I can, yelling "stay there" and hoping that she'll listen. As soon as I reach a dead end I look around.

"Doctor?"

Nothing.

"Doctor!?!"

I keep looking, hoping I'll find something when the world around me begins to fade to black.

"What the hell?"

I run around trying to find the alley again before I realize that I'm not going anywhere. Suddenly a bright light hits me and I cover my eyes. I've got absolutely no clue what's going on. I try my hardest to see through it but it's blinding. All I can hear is a faint chanting.

"Sontar-ha! Sontar-ha! SONTAR-HA!"

*****

It's been a while, I know, but I've been trying to write this on and off since the last update. Inspiration tends to escape me when it's convenient.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're all enjoying this story (which I never thought would have such a great response) and I hope you'll stick with me through all of my insanity. <3