Chapter 1: The Family And Social Services

It was a busy Sunday morning in New York City. In the heart of the city, is the social services building. In there, are the Isma-May siblings. Waiting. Waiting for what was going to happen to them.

It had been a week since their parents had separated, leaving them to the social and family services, and the siblings knew they wouldn't see their parents again. They were mostly glad, considering how they were treated at home.

Their parents were not the nicest people. Their father was an extremely lazy man. He always had the children do everything for him. If they didn't, he would get their mother to beat them. He wasn't even able to punish them he was so lazy.

Their mother was a spoilt woman. She spent all their money on makeup, pretty jewellery, and other nice things. The children never got such nice things as their mother did. They barely had any toys growing up, let alone nice clothes.

They were sat in the waiting room, nervously. Helena had Sydney on her knee. Eleonora was tapping her feet, rhythmically. Willie was staring at the door. No one was talking. Suddenly, a familiar clerk came through the door. It was Pete, a nice worker.

"William, Helena, Eleonora and Sydney Isma-May?" he asked.

The kids followed him. Helena, with Sydney in her arms. He took them to his office and they sat down.

"William," he said.

"Yes sir?" Willie replied.

"I hear you are 13, correct?"

"Yes sir."

"Meaning according to this file, you are old enough to take care of your siblings. You think you can do that, boy?"

He looked at his siblings.

"Yes sir. Of course."

"Well, that's great. Helena?"

"Yes sir?" she said, passing drooling baby Sydney to her sister.

"You gonna help your brother, right?"

"Of course sir."

"Alrighty then," he said sighing and leaning back to get a file, "I just need you kids to read and sign this, and we can move you all tomorrow."

"Move?" asked Willie, looking at the file, "Where?"

"Small town in Alabama," he replied, "Rubble."

"Rubble?" said Eleonora, "Isn't that a character off Paw Patrol or somethin'?"

"Paw Patwol!" exclaimed Sydney. Pete laughed.

"Yeah, tiny place, really," said Pete, still chuckling to himself.

"But we have time to pack, right?" asked Helena.

"Of course," said Pete, "but someone is coming for you all at 2."

"Alright, then we better get going," said Willie.

They grabbed their coats and just before they left, Pete said;

"Good luck, kids."