Chapter 24

Mew felt his heart dropping.

He felt his world collapsing.

He felt his mind going blank.

He saw his vision going blurry.

He heard nothing but silence.

He felt burning heat on his skin.

His mouth went dry.

The air was suddenly hard to breathe.

He didn't notice it when Gulf pulled out and cleaned him up and put his shorts on. Gulf came back in bed and waited. Mew had gone quiet and it was a frightening reaction to Gulf.

He waited 5 minutes.

He waited 10 minutes.

Mew laid there not moving. Gulf checked to see if he was breathing.

He was.

He waited some more, nervously. He needed  something, anything at all. A sign so he could embrace him or try to comfort him however he could but there was none. It was as if Mew was holding on to his sanity.

It was ten minutes later that Gulf realized that maybe Mew needed some space. He got up and got a morning gown. He left the room and as soon as he did Mew broke down. Gulf stood at the door outside the room and heard Mew's walls falling. He felt Mew's devastation. He slid down on the floor against the door and cried helplessly. It felt painful that Mew couldn't trust him with his tears. He was willing to catch him as he fell but Mew chose to fall alone and he fell hard.

Gulf slept on the floor against that door on Friday as he listened to Mew crying. He fell asleep to Mew's crying. He didn't know when he stopped crying or if he did but when he woke the following morning he heard Mew groaning as if he was in pain, as if he was hurt.

He went in the room and saw him laying there sweaty and when he touched his forehead it was burning.

He thought he could handle it so he nursed him all day on Saturday. On Sunday, Mew was worse. He was even more in pain. Gulf panicked and called Dianna and she came as soon as she could.

When she arrived Gulf broke down. He felt frustrated that he was no comfort at all to Mew. Dianna felt exhausted. The dark and gloomy atmosphere was taking a toll on her too. Not to mention her boss was absent from work.

"What happened?" Dianna asked after he calmed down.

"Leo is gone p',"

It was good news but Dianna felt disappointment for Mew. She saw Mew's condition and felt like maybe he needed the doctor so she called his physician and he came to give him an IV.

"What's wrong with him doctor?" They asked worried.

"Physically he is ok, but emotionally he's a wreck. Give him time to recuperate. I will come again tomorrow to give him another IV for vitamin and fluids.If he doesn't wake up by tomorrow then he should be admitted."

Dianna and Gulf spent their Sunday waiting and nursing him.

Mew did not wake up.

"I have to go Nong," Dianna said at 11 pm.

"What should I do p'?" Gulf wasn't sure on what to do with Mew alone.

"You have to go back to work Nong."

"But I can't leave him like this."

"I know but you've been absent for a week and any more than that might affect your internship."

"P I can't leave him." he just couldn't.

Dianna didn't hesitate when she said, "Let's call his mom."

With a low voice Gulf replied, "They had a fight."

"A fight about what?" Dianna was not having a good time.

"About me, she walked in on him and Leo making out and was angry that he moved on quickly, you know because of the body."

"Still she's his mother. She'll take a good care of him.  Besides, I think it's only right if he is moved to a hospital. He hasn't woken up for two days now. I'll call an ambulance tomorrow morning and call his mother so she can go to the hospital."

"Can't I take him there?"

"I know how you feel right now but think of your future and your career too. You don't want to be jeopardizing your career because of love. Because trust me if it doesn't work out with him you'll be left with nothing but regrets."

"P'D" Gulf whined.

"If you perform well the company might hire you as a permanent staff and that's what you need Nong."

"I need him too."

"He'll be fine." To Dianna it was a simple heartbreak. That's what it looked to her.  "We can go straight to the hospital after work tomorrow. Trust me on this."

Dianna left after reaching an agreement with Gulf about going to work. Gulf went in the room and sat on the bed just watching him.

Mew looked tired and so worn out. He looked pale. Gulf touched Mew's forehead, the fever was refusing to go down. The IV was almost finished.

He took Mew's hand and placed it in his.

"Can't I make it better? Can't I be the one you love?" He whispered as tears accompanied his sad words.

The following morning, the ambulance came because Mew was the same.

Mew's mother was called and she went to the hospital. She was told he had an emotional and mental break down. That's why he was sick.

It was day three and the doctors had to take some tests. Everything tested negative, he was ok. 

Monday afternoon Mew woke up feeling suffocated.

"Gulf," he called out, eyes closed hands weakly in the air willing someone to hold them.

"Mew, it's mummy here." Mew's mother was relieved to see her son awake but,

"Is Nong Gulf here?"
She was taken aback by this sudden request.

"Who is Nong Gulf?" She asked but got no response.

"Please call Nong Gulf for me," he moaned in agony. 

"Get me Nong Mae," he cried.

Mew's mother called Dianna and told her Mew woke up and he was asking for Nong Gulf.

Dianna excused Gulf from work and he rushed to the hospital.

Gulf's heart was in his hands on the way. He couldn't believe that he was the first person Mew asked for as soon as he woke up. He sprinted to the hospital room and he saw Mew's mother standing outside the door nervously.

"Good afternoon Mae." He greeted.

She remembered him from that day. "He is asking for you." She said with an upset face.

Gulf opened the door and Mew turned slowly to look at him, his eyes now open but only half way.

Gulf rushed to his bedside and held his hand.

"I'm here p'"

Mew looked at Gulf and tears didn't delay. He needed to confirm one last time. To make sure he wasn't dreaming or imagining things.

Weakly with his parched lips he asked,

"Leo?"