The unsung heroes

The city quieted but didn't stop when the sun set. There was no time to waste. Nocturnal faunids kept the machine running. Sapiens rested in shifts and then continued with their meetings, or repairs, or grieving, or celebrations. Roedin heard all this but nothing registered. Nothing broke his focus on the only thing that mattered.

With a groan he pushed himself up from the chair and stepped away from the bed, stretching out his wings. The night was calm, clear, perfect for flying. Avery loved flying on nights like this. She said it felt like swimming in the stars. Maybe he should take her flying? But he was almost afraid to touch her, she looked like glass. How could someone so strong suddenly look so fragile?

Instead Roedin pushed the curtains wide so she could see the stars if she opened her eyes.

Right now.

Just open your eyes, Avery.

He even turned to check, but her eyes remained closed.

Rubbing his hands down his face he stepped out on the balcony and rested in forearms on the railing letting his head fall forward. Where had they gone wrong? Kurt had only barely finished that spell before Vireo killed him. Seconds.

Was it freeing the prisoners that had cost them?

He should have flown ahead instead of working with the ground troops.

What if they had started the attack earlier?

Avery could have gone to Treetops after the General Assembly had been raided.

What if they hadn't met for coffee at the Burnt Bean that day?

What if she never left the Cloud Fortress?

What if Dreysus had been killed in the temple collapse? Last year? The year before? It felt like a lifetime ago.

Around and around his mind worked until all he could do was scream. Scenarios and questions and options and blame. He needed to stop but he was so exhausted he had lost all control. The only thing that broke the cycle was the pitter-patter of tiny feet in the room behind him.

Arnica trotted across the room, her ragged kangaroo in tow. A sleepy looking fox kit followed close behind. Roedin started to call out to her to stop but the words caught in his throat when he watched her gently reach out and touch Avery's hand. As though checking to see if she was real Arnica ran her fingers along Avery's skin but she didn't seem afraid, just curious. Roedin had kept her away, hoping she would never have to see Avery like this. The child had seen enough nightmares to last a lifetime; this didn't need to be the way she remembered her mother.

Before he could collect himself Arnica took the green stone from where it rested on the bedside table and put it in Avery's hand. She wrapped the chain around Avery's wrist and let it rest again. The kit reached its paws up the edge of the bed and sniffed, whining to be allowed up. Arnica awkwardly wrapped her arms around its hind quarters and pushed it up.

"Arnie, what are you doing?" Roedin whispered as he crossed the room. "I don't think the fox should be in here."

"Lago wanted to see his mama," Arnica said frankly. The fox kit stumbled up the fluffy bed and sniffed at Avery's face before curling up with its head on her shoulder. "So did I," Arnica added in a small voice.

Roedin didn't say anything as he pulled Arnica into his arms and sat back on the lounge chair that had been stationed by the bed. Arnica curled up into him but kept her eyes on Avery's face. There was still no fear and no judgement, just observation.

"She must be really tired," his daughter said.

Roedin kissed her forehead and rested his cheek on the top of her head. "Yeah. She worked really hard."